Fire Alert On in Melbourne
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 18, 2013 4:59 PM EST
Residents off Melbourne's northern suburbs have been advised to stay alert and calm as a fast moving 200 hectare out of control grassfire could pose an immediate threat to lives and homes in the Wollert area.
The Country Fire Authority, on its Web site, said the fire is travelling in a southerly direction towards Vearings Road, Craigieburn Road East and Epping Road. It is expected to impact Epping and Wollert between 3.45pm and 4.30pm.
Emergency warnings have been issued for the Vearings Road and Craigieburn Road, Wollert area.
The fire is currently burning 27 kilometres north of the Melbourne CBD, which is close to the Hume Freeway.
Residents are advised to follow their bushfire survival plans.
"It's really of concern to us because it has the chance to run into some housing on the east of Craigieburn and the Hume Fwy," Kevin Monk, State Control Centre spokesman, said.
"At about 1.30pm it's just done a major run and burnt through about 200ha, which shows how serious the conditions are with strong winds and hot and dry conditions.''
"On days like today fires can just about start anywhere. It's so dry hot and windy across the west, it doesn't take much these days to get a fire going."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- El Niño Update: 2014 Threat Easing, ‘Unlikely to be a Strong Event’ – Australia BoM
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- Kim Dotcom Banks on 5% Youth Vote in New Zealand September Election
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World