Google Nexus 4: Ubuntu Touch Developer Preview on February 21
By Jenalyn Villamarin | February 18, 2013 3:12 PM EST
Canonical's Ubuntu Touch Developer Preview for Google's Nexus 4 and Galaxy Nexus smart phones will have its launch on February 21. The upcoming preview is planned for the enthusiasts and developers who wish to have a sneak peek at what Ubuntu can offer to their devices.
At the upcoming Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, the Canonical team members can get the attendee's devices flashed from February 25 - 28 at booth number 81D30, App Planet Hall 8.1 where Ubuntu will be included as well in a variety of devices. Canoncial confirmed the expansion news on smart phone experience throughout 2013 where more devices, tool updates and instructions will be continuously added.
The company's press release reads: "The developer preview release also marks the start of a new era for Ubuntu, with true convergence between devices. When complete, the same Ubuntu code will deliver a mobile, tablet, desktop or TV experiences depending on the device it is installed on, or where it is docked. Ubuntu 13.10 due in October will include a complete entry-level smart phone experience."
Furthermore, Canonical made the Preview SDK and App Design Guides available to let the developers build applications for a full range of Ubuntu platforms. The Preview SDK toolkit offers a collection of documented templates that will enable the created native applications fast and without any difficulty while the App Design Guides give details on how to use the templates in designing and creating helpful applications.
Blackberry Touch developers can familiarize the Qt/QML environment that maintains native touch applications. The developers will no longer be required to cross-compile or package applications differently for phones, tablets, PC and TV since one platform is offered to all of the mentioned devices.
As for the Android apps, it will not operate directly on Ubuntu. The Ubuntu apps are written in the QML toolkit and HTML5 technologies while the Android apps are mostly written in Java. However, the Android applications can be run with the use of the Android emulator in Ubuntu desktop.
Developers may have a huge opportunity to create support with their personal devices once the ROM is publicly launched. Instructions for the Google Nexus 4 and Galaxy Nexus will not be posted until February 21 but a teaser advertisement page is currently available. For further details or developments, visit the Ubuntu Wiki web site: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TouchInstallProcess.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible---Report
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- The Latest Nikon D750 Costs $2500, But The Full Frame Model Is Worth The Buy
- ‘Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare’: Sledgehammer Games Releases Launch Trailer, Smooth Multiplayer And Dedicated Servers
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks