Samsung Reveals New Nokia Rivals in Non-Android REX Feature Phones
By Erik Pineda | February 18, 2013 3:12 PM EST
There is no let up in the rampaging Samsung juggernaut as the company aims to strengthen its grip on the feature phone market via its REX series handsets, powered by a Java-inspired mobile platform.
Announced on Valentines Day, Samsung REX represents the tech giant's "best possible mobile solutions to suit all lifestyles and budgets."
"REX devices are designed to seamlessly prioritize and consolidate essential mobile functions that matter most to customers across diverse markets. The result is an extraordinary end-to-end mobile experience with the best value for money," Samsung mobile division chief JK Shin said in a statement.
"We are excited to launch the REX series across a number of the world's fastest growing markets," the company statement added.
The initial batch will comprise of the REX 60, REX 70, REX 80 and REX 90. The handsets are configured to attract consumers looking for better feature phone experience outside of the usual servings coming from Nokia and China device manufacturers, likely undercutting too these firms stable piggy banks.
Functions and features on the REX menu will straddle the normal preferences prevalent on emerging markets, Samsung said.
From screen sizes to camera attributes and dual-SIM capabilities, Samsung aims to lure additional crowds to its expanding fold. Such types are characterised by market analysts as unwilling to pay too much cash and content on getting basic phone features.
Already a titan in the smartphone arena, Samsung's new move is seen as the firm's way supporting its global market presence in the light of the ramped up efforts by other companies to dig deeper on the rich market potentials of countries like China, India and other rising markets in Asia-Pacific, Latin America and the Middle East.
Most importantly, Samsung's REX mobile phones are directly colliding with the lucrative territory where Nokia remains a major force, according to BGR News.
While launch dates and pricing were not provided by Samsung on its Feb 14 announcement, experts believe that the handsets will debut via the 2013 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, which will kick off on Feb 25.
Samsung's REX series are also expected to compete within the price range of Nokia's Asha series phone, BGR said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia