Samsung Reveals New Nokia Rivals in Non-Android REX Feature Phones
By Erik Pineda | February 18, 2013 3:12 PM EST
There is no let up in the rampaging Samsung juggernaut as the company aims to strengthen its grip on the feature phone market via its REX series handsets, powered by a Java-inspired mobile platform.
Announced on Valentines Day, Samsung REX represents the tech giant's "best possible mobile solutions to suit all lifestyles and budgets."
"REX devices are designed to seamlessly prioritize and consolidate essential mobile functions that matter most to customers across diverse markets. The result is an extraordinary end-to-end mobile experience with the best value for money," Samsung mobile division chief JK Shin said in a statement.
"We are excited to launch the REX series across a number of the world's fastest growing markets," the company statement added.
The initial batch will comprise of the REX 60, REX 70, REX 80 and REX 90. The handsets are configured to attract consumers looking for better feature phone experience outside of the usual servings coming from Nokia and China device manufacturers, likely undercutting too these firms stable piggy banks.
Functions and features on the REX menu will straddle the normal preferences prevalent on emerging markets, Samsung said.
From screen sizes to camera attributes and dual-SIM capabilities, Samsung aims to lure additional crowds to its expanding fold. Such types are characterised by market analysts as unwilling to pay too much cash and content on getting basic phone features.
Already a titan in the smartphone arena, Samsung's new move is seen as the firm's way supporting its global market presence in the light of the ramped up efforts by other companies to dig deeper on the rich market potentials of countries like China, India and other rising markets in Asia-Pacific, Latin America and the Middle East.
Most importantly, Samsung's REX mobile phones are directly colliding with the lucrative territory where Nokia remains a major force, according to BGR News.
While launch dates and pricing were not provided by Samsung on its Feb 14 announcement, experts believe that the handsets will debut via the 2013 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, which will kick off on Feb 25.
Samsung's REX series are also expected to compete within the price range of Nokia's Asha series phone, BGR said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers