Harlem Shake Style Rules, Compilation Draws 6M Views in a Week [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | February 18, 2013 2:57 PM EST
The Harlem Shake is an old dance move sparking new interest among YouTube video makers and social media users today. A week ago, a Harlem Shake compilation video of the best dance clips was posted to the video sharing site, and it has so far drawn over 6 million views. Is it the new Gangnam Style?
Original Harlem Shake? Harlem Style Generations with P. Diddy and DJ Baauer
In the late '90s, P. Diddy ruled the Harlem Shake. By the late 2001, the shake-it-as-you-want-it dance style was still a thing. G.Dep's "Let's Get It" inspired a lot of Harlem Shake moves in 2001. But the Westord blog pointed out the Harlem Shake dance was already hitting the dance floors in the '80s, so the original Harlem Shake must have been going for decades without having a name.
The way Harlem Shake goes is pretty simple: no specific steps, no exact grooves, no stepcount. Dancers just shake their body to the beat freestyle.
The Harlem Shake revival was sparked by 23-year-old Brooklyn DJ named Baauer. The jolting beats of his "Harlem Shake" record evidently got people moving their bodies with intent to humor others. And so far, the moves seem to be working and still going viral.
If the 'Harlem Style' is the next Gangnam Style indeed, YouTube users will see hundreds more of Harlem Shake videos in the next several months. But in this day and age of fleeting attention and social media whims, taking a dance style to Gangnam level is a tough act.
'Harlem Style' Rules on Reddit
Harlem Style is not difficult, but there are rules, according to Reddit. If anything goes viral, Reddit will have some information on the subject. So anyone who plans on adding to the long list of Harlem Shake posters are advised to heed the following rules by Reddit user Swaqqalicious:
1. The original dancer must be wearing a mask of some sorts.
2. NOBODY can be laughing or smiling when only one person is dancing.
3. When everyone starts dancing, there must be someone convulsing or having a seizure.
4. Go batshit crazy
5. Don't make lousy transtitions that don't match the music
6. Be at least a little unique.
YouTube Harlem Shake Compilation Video
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Ebola Virus 'Rapidly Mutating' as Research Finds Almost 400 Mutations; International Aid Moves at a Snail's Pace
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports