Harlem Shake Style Rules, Compilation Draws 6M Views in a Week [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | February 18, 2013 2:57 PM EST
The Harlem Shake is an old dance move sparking new interest among YouTube video makers and social media users today. A week ago, a Harlem Shake compilation video of the best dance clips was posted to the video sharing site, and it has so far drawn over 6 million views. Is it the new Gangnam Style?
Original Harlem Shake? Harlem Style Generations with P. Diddy and DJ Baauer
In the late '90s, P. Diddy ruled the Harlem Shake. By the late 2001, the shake-it-as-you-want-it dance style was still a thing. G.Dep's "Let's Get It" inspired a lot of Harlem Shake moves in 2001. But the Westord blog pointed out the Harlem Shake dance was already hitting the dance floors in the '80s, so the original Harlem Shake must have been going for decades without having a name.
The way Harlem Shake goes is pretty simple: no specific steps, no exact grooves, no stepcount. Dancers just shake their body to the beat freestyle.
The Harlem Shake revival was sparked by 23-year-old Brooklyn DJ named Baauer. The jolting beats of his "Harlem Shake" record evidently got people moving their bodies with intent to humor others. And so far, the moves seem to be working and still going viral.
If the 'Harlem Style' is the next Gangnam Style indeed, YouTube users will see hundreds more of Harlem Shake videos in the next several months. But in this day and age of fleeting attention and social media whims, taking a dance style to Gangnam level is a tough act.
'Harlem Style' Rules on Reddit
Harlem Style is not difficult, but there are rules, according to Reddit. If anything goes viral, Reddit will have some information on the subject. So anyone who plans on adding to the long list of Harlem Shake posters are advised to heed the following rules by Reddit user Swaqqalicious:
1. The original dancer must be wearing a mask of some sorts.
2. NOBODY can be laughing or smiling when only one person is dancing.
3. When everyone starts dancing, there must be someone convulsing or having a seizure.
4. Go batshit crazy
5. Don't make lousy transtitions that don't match the music
6. Be at least a little unique.
YouTube Harlem Shake Compilation Video
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Avril Lavigne And Husband Chad Kroeger Call It Quits
- Trina Targets French Montana And Kardashian In A Song To Show What Happens To A Reject
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best