Exclusive 6-Year Old Mass Services for Gays, Lesbians at a Soho London Church Wraps Up (VIDEOS)
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 18, 2013 2:46 PM EST
Finding the exclusive Catholic mass services for gays and lesbians being offered at a Soho London church directly running against the teachings of the Roman Catholic hierarchy, the archbishop who had approved its concept in 2007 has called for the closure of the services.
On Sunday night, the final mass service exclusively made for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered (LGBT) Catholics was offered and held at the Our Lady of the Assumption Church in Soho, central London.
Archbishop of Westminster Vincent Nichols said the exclusive services disagrees with the teachings on sexuality by the Roman Catholic secular religion.
"The moral teaching of the church is that the proper use of our sexual faculty is within a marriage, between a man and a woman, open to the procreation and nurturing of new human life," the Archbishop said in January.
This was way back in 2007 when he said the masses were to be held to give the LGBT community the chance to venerate their Catholic fight, provided the services do not screw up the teachings of the church.
The BBC reported that it was only two years ago when he defended that the masses "gives gay Catholics the chance to identify themselves by their Catholicism rather than their sexuality."
Renate Rothwell, a Congregation member, said she felt sad with the archbishop's turnaround.
"The tears which are shed are angry tears, because I feel angry that this didn't need to have happened," she told the BBC.
Stonewall, a gay rights charity group, described the development as "a real shame."
But according to Christopher Lamb from The Tablet, a Catholic newspaper, he believed the sudden reversal by Archbishop Nichols came from pressure from the upper echelons.
"I wouldn't say it's a U-turn because Vince Nichols is still very keen to support gay Catholics. I think it is of course a change of direction, but I think it was because of the pressure he came under by the authorities in Rome," he was quoted by the BBC.
In lieu of the discontinuation of the LGBT Catholic mass services, Archbishop Nichols called on the Soho Masses Pastoral Council to develop pastoral work for them.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How