Exclusive 6-Year Old Mass Services for Gays, Lesbians at a Soho London Church Wraps Up (VIDEOS)
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | February 18, 2013 2:46 PM EST
Finding the exclusive Catholic mass services for gays and lesbians being offered at a Soho London church directly running against the teachings of the Roman Catholic hierarchy, the archbishop who had approved its concept in 2007 has called for the closure of the services.
On Sunday night, the final mass service exclusively made for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered (LGBT) Catholics was offered and held at the Our Lady of the Assumption Church in Soho, central London.
Archbishop of Westminster Vincent Nichols said the exclusive services disagrees with the teachings on sexuality by the Roman Catholic secular religion.
"The moral teaching of the church is that the proper use of our sexual faculty is within a marriage, between a man and a woman, open to the procreation and nurturing of new human life," the Archbishop said in January.
This was way back in 2007 when he said the masses were to be held to give the LGBT community the chance to venerate their Catholic fight, provided the services do not screw up the teachings of the church.
The BBC reported that it was only two years ago when he defended that the masses "gives gay Catholics the chance to identify themselves by their Catholicism rather than their sexuality."
Renate Rothwell, a Congregation member, said she felt sad with the archbishop's turnaround.
"The tears which are shed are angry tears, because I feel angry that this didn't need to have happened," she told the BBC.
Stonewall, a gay rights charity group, described the development as "a real shame."
But according to Christopher Lamb from The Tablet, a Catholic newspaper, he believed the sudden reversal by Archbishop Nichols came from pressure from the upper echelons.
"I wouldn't say it's a U-turn because Vince Nichols is still very keen to support gay Catholics. I think it is of course a change of direction, but I think it was because of the pressure he came under by the authorities in Rome," he was quoted by the BBC.
In lieu of the discontinuation of the LGBT Catholic mass services, Archbishop Nichols called on the Soho Masses Pastoral Council to develop pastoral work for them.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS