Danica Patrick: Fastest Time In Qualifying Round Gives GoDaddy Girl Pole Position In NASCAR's Daytona 500
By J.J. McGrath | February 18, 2013 2:31 PM EST
Danica Patrick made NASCAR Sprint Cup Series history Sunday by becoming the first woman to win the pole position for the Daytona 500, which will be run Feb. 24 at the Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Fla.
Driving the No. 10 GoDaddy Chevrolet as a member of the Stewart-Haas Racing team, Patrick won the pole position by tearing around the 2.5-mile track in 45.817 seconds. Her top speed of 196.434 mph is the fastest Daytona 500 qualifying speed since Ken Schrader’s Chevrolet covered the distance while topping out at 196.515 mph in 1990, NASCAR.com reported.
Before Patrick won the pole position, the best starting position for a woman in Sprint Cup Series history was ninth, which is where Janet Guthrie started at Talladega and Bristol, both in 1977.
Patrick was followed in qualifying by Jeff Gordon, 45.850 seconds, 196.292 mph; Trevor Bayne, 45.924 seconds, 195.976 mph; Ryan Newman, 45.931 seconds, 195.946 mph; and Tony Stewart, 45.936 seconds, 195.925 mph.
Both Newman and Stewart are Patrick's Stewart-Haas Racing teammates, and Stewart is a three-time Sprint Cup Series champion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate