Danica Patrick: Fastest Time In Qualifying Round Gives GoDaddy Girl Pole Position In NASCAR's Daytona 500
By J.J. McGrath | February 18, 2013 2:31 PM EST
Danica Patrick made NASCAR Sprint Cup Series history Sunday by becoming the first woman to win the pole position for the Daytona 500, which will be run Feb. 24 at the Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Fla.
Driving the No. 10 GoDaddy Chevrolet as a member of the Stewart-Haas Racing team, Patrick won the pole position by tearing around the 2.5-mile track in 45.817 seconds. Her top speed of 196.434 mph is the fastest Daytona 500 qualifying speed since Ken Schrader’s Chevrolet covered the distance while topping out at 196.515 mph in 1990, NASCAR.com reported.
Before Patrick won the pole position, the best starting position for a woman in Sprint Cup Series history was ninth, which is where Janet Guthrie started at Talladega and Bristol, both in 1977.
Patrick was followed in qualifying by Jeff Gordon, 45.850 seconds, 196.292 mph; Trevor Bayne, 45.924 seconds, 195.976 mph; Ryan Newman, 45.931 seconds, 195.946 mph; and Tony Stewart, 45.936 seconds, 195.925 mph.
Both Newman and Stewart are Patrick's Stewart-Haas Racing teammates, and Stewart is a three-time Sprint Cup Series champion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29