Russian Meteor Shower 2013 Not Due to Asteroid 2012 DA14 Flyby, NASA Scientist Confirms
By Jenalyn Villamarin | February 18, 2013 2:23 PM EST
The 2013 Asteroid 2012 DA14 near-Earth flyby and the Russia Meteor Blast both occurred last February 15 but National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) scientist Don Yeomans confirms the asteroid flyby did not cause the unexpected meteor blast in Chelyabinsk, Russia.
Don Yeomans, the NASA asteroid expert and Head of NASA's Near-Earth Object Program Office, revealed to Space.com through an email that the Russia meteor blast probably came from an exploding fireball called "bolide."
The NASA scientist emphasized that the "bolide" is not related with the asteroid that safely passed by with 17,200 miles (27,000 kilometers) from planet Earth. "The asteroid will travel south to north. The bolide trail was not south to north and the separation in time between the fireball and 2012 DA14 close approach is significant," Yeomans stated.
In the email to Space.com, NASA scientist Don Yeomans explained: "If the reports of ground damage can be verified, it might suggest an object whose original size was several meters in extent before entering the atmosphere, fragmenting and exploding due to the unequal pressure on the leading side versus the trailing side, it pancaked and exploded. It is far too early to provide estimates of the energy released or provide a reliable estimate of the original size."
According to the NASA web site, the meteor's entry was a very shallow one based on the period of the meteor blast. The meteor was brighter than the sun and estimated to be one-third the diameter of the asteroid which makes it bigger than the meteor that hit Indonesia in October 8, 2009. The visibility of the meteor trail in Russia lasted for at least 30 seconds.
The Russian Emergency Ministry confirmed over 500 people was injured from the meteor blast and hundreds of windows and buildings were destroyed. Experts continue to search for the meteor fragments in order to analyze then give the exact details and further explain the mystery behind the space rock that hit Russia without a warning.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers