'Downton Abbey' Finale: Season Three Spoilers, Where To Watch, Why The Show Is So Popular
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 18, 2013 10:12 AM EST
Something about “Downton Abbey” just reels viewers in.
Consistently mentioned in the same breath as other commercially and critically beloved television productions, the series -- shown by ITV in the U.K. and PBS in the U.S. -- doesn't have the suspenseful pacing of AMC's “Breaking Bad” or the moral ambiguity of the same network's “Mad Men.” However, the show has attracted legions of fans who will certainly be watching the American third-season finale this Sunday night.
It’s been a long third season -- or “series,” if you’re discussing the subject with British fans -- for the Crawley family. It began with Cora’s American mother, played with delicious snobbery by Shirley MacLaine, visiting the estate to attend Lady Mary’s wedding to Matthew, the heir to Lord Grantham’s fortune.
It was then revealed that the Crawelys were in dire straits, at risk of losing everything because of a string of investments that went from bad to worse after the Great War. Matthew, with no help from Cora’s mother, eventually offered a financial resolution that would save Downton and provide a stable future for the family.
Then everything broke down. Lady Sybil -- the most open-minded daughter, who married former family chauffeur Tom Branson -- died during childbirth, setting off a series of events on both sides of the economic divide that threatened to tear apart the house.
Sunday’s finale won’t be ruined in this article, but suffice it to say the drama is hardly finished.
The reaction to the show, first in the U.K. and then in the U.S., has been overwhelming. The Internet has been inundated each Monday over the past six weeks with “Downton Abbey”-related analysis. Fans of the show run the gambit from country star Reba McEntire to comedian Patton Oswalt, who live-tweets new episodes every Sunday night.
Series creator Julian Fellowes, who previously wrote the film “Gosford Park,” explained the program’s widespread appeal during an interview with the Wall Street Journal. He credited the show with treating every character with a degree of seriousness that isn’t seen in other television series.
“I don’t think we patronize the servants; we don’t make them comedic,” Fellowes said. “Nor do we automatically hate the family or regard them as selfish and mendacious and so on. I like the characters to disagree, and the audience can see both points of view, so that neither is being ludicrous or unreasonable. It just always seems to me more interesting if you're slightly torn as to which side you're on."
The third-season finale of “Downton Abbey” in the U.S. will air Sunday at 9 p.m. EST. It is available for online streaming.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos and Videos Leaked by 4Chan Hacker; Ariana Grande, Lea Michele, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Kate Upton’s Also Included
- Celebrities’ Leaked Nude Photos: Master-List Printed, Selena Gomez, Kim Kardashian, Kate Upton, Jennifer Lawrence, Kaley Cuoco, Rihanna, More Names On It
- Nude Photos Leaked: Mary Elizabeth Winstead Says Nude Photos Hers, Faces Backlash, Takes Twitter Break
- Nick Cannon–Mariah Carey Divorce Reports: Nick Dating Younger Woman
- ‘Bachelor In Paradise’ Spoilers: Find Out Whether AshLee Frazier And Graham Bunn Last Till The End; Meet The New Arrivals Of Episode 6
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers