McCain, Graham Seem Resigned To Hagel Confirmation
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 18, 2013 5:53 AM EST
Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said Sunday that his fellow Republicans will drop their delaying tactics on the Chuck Hagel nomination, and the ex-senator has the votes to become defense secretary.
"We will have a vote when we get back, and I am confident that Senator Hagel will probably have the votes necessary to be confirmed as the secretary of defense," McCain, who has led the opposition against his former Republican colleague and fellow Vietnam veteran, told NBC's "Meet the Press."
Asked if he plans to vote to confirm his onetime friend, McCain said, "No. I don't believe he is qualified. But I don't believe we should hold up his nomination any further."
Meanwhile, Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., another leading opponent, said Sunday that Hagel sent him a letter disavowing a comment about Israel and the State Department that he allegedly made in 2007.
“I got a letter back from Sen. Hagel in response to my question, did you say that, and do you believe that? And the letter said he did not recall saying that. He disavows that statement,” Graham said on “Fox News Sunday.”
Graham was referring to a 2007 blog post indicating that in a speech at Rutgers University, Hagel said the State Department had become adjunct to the Israeli Foreign Ministry. The South Carolina Republican appeared satisfied with Hagel’s disavowal of the remark, barring new developments, the Washington Post reported.
“Well, if in fact that’s true, that would end the matter,” Graham said, adding, “I just take him at his word unless something new comes along.”
Democrats, who control the Senate, have scheduled a vote for Feb. 26, after a weeklong recess. Republicans held up Hagel last week in the first filibuster used to block a defense nominee.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install