PM Harper To Unveil Canada’s Office Of Religious Freedom
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 17, 2013 8:43 PM EST
Prime Minister Stephen Harper will inaugurate the long-awaited Canadian Office of Religious Freedom and announce the first religious freedom ambassador Tuesday.
Tories first pledged to launch the religious office in 2011 under the aegis of Foreign Affairs, but the foreign ministry was unable to find a commissioner to take the job.
However, the name of the ambassador is still unknown to the public.
"We haven't seen the mandate and we don't know who the ambassador is," National Post quoted Gerald Filson of the Bahai Community of Canada, as saying.
"We will have to see what happens with the office and what the mandate is," Gerald added.
Critics questioned the intention behind the launch of this new office, and many are worried that the institution might be used as a tool for domestic political gain.
Rick Roth, spokesman for the Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird said the new office is a priority for the federal government.
"(The office) is a priority for our government, and is a part of our principled foreign policy," Roth said, according to National Post.
It is not yet clear what will be the main role of the office and how it will fit into Canada's relationship with the rest of the world.
Kathryn White, executive director of the United Nations Association of Canada said the office holds great potential.
"The potential (for the office) is great," the newspaper quoted Kathryn, as saying.
"But there remain lots of potential pitfalls in terms of how the office actually conducts its mandate," White added.
Jim Karygiannis, Toronto liberal MP said that the Conservatives took too long to launch the office and he warned that "government's main motivation in setting it up was to win votes in key Toronto-area ridings during the last federal election."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Australia's Renewable Energy Industry Braces for Removal of Support
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How