Galaxy S3 I9300 Receives Android 4.2.2 LiquidSmooth Jelly Bean ROM [How to Install]
By Vinod Yalburgi | February 17, 2013 8:07 PM EST
Galaxy S3 I9300 owners are among the lucky few Android users, besides HTC One X and Nexus 4, to receive the latest Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware in the form of custom ROM release. Earlier, only a handful of Nexus devices got the latest Jelly Bean official firmware from Google.
LiquidSmooth ROM is the second such custom Android 4.2.2 release for Galaxy S3 users within a few hours. Samsung's flagship smartphone earlier received the same version of Jelly Bean firmware via CyanogenMod 10.1 ROM. The South Korean Tech-giant is yet to release any further official Jelly Bean updates after the Android 4.1.2 release. S3 users can try their hand on the latest Jelly Bean firmware via custom ROMs until further official updates are released.
Key Features of LiquidSmooth ROM
- Google GCC 4.7 Toolchain
- Strict-Aliasing (Linaro)
- C++11 Mode
- Optimised String Handling Routines (Linaro/Sony)
- Misc other Linaro and Code Aurora Optimastions
- Customisable lockscreen buttons and sliders
- Chronus clock widget
- Customisable hardware and software keys
- Transparent navbar and status bar
- Customisable navbar ring
- Navigation bar widgets
- Customisable power menu
- Customisable quicksettings panel
- Statusbar mods
- Theme engine
- Quiet hours
- Volume rocker music controls
- Full Rotation
- Customisable battery and notification light
Key Points to Note
- LiquidSmooth ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the international variant Galaxy S3 I9300 model only and will not work on any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up your important data and settings on the phone using ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery.
- Make sure that the phone has at least 80 percent battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown during firmware installation (which may permanently damage or brick your device).
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for Galaxy S3 on your computer (download USB drivers)
- Ensure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on your phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the phone is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if the device is already running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Navigate to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number.
- Now, tap Build Number for seven times until the hidden Developer Options is unlocked or revealed under Settings. Then select the checkbox for USB Debugging mode to enable it.
- Make sure that your phone is rooted with CWM recovery installed on it.
- If the device is stuck at boot or experiencing boot loop issues, then perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache few more times before rebooting.
- Allow the newly installed ROM to stabilise for about five minutes before you start working on it.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only.IBTimes UK will not be held liable if you damage or brick the device during or after firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Install Android 4.2.2 LiquidSmooth Jelly Bean ROM on Galaxy S3 I9300
1. Connect your Galaxy S3 I9300 to the computer with the USB cable.
2. Without extracting, copy downloaded ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder of your phone's SD card.
3. Disconnect the USB cable from computer and then power off your phone.
4. Boot the phone into ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together until the Samsung logo appears on screen. Now, release all three buttons for half a second and hold them again, and the device should automatically boot into CWM recovery screen. Note: Use Volume keys to browse between options and Power key to select an option in recovery.
5. Take a Nandroid backup of current ROM on your phone, so that it can be restored later if the new ROM fails to work or you want to return to the original ROM. To do a backup, choose Backup and Restore, then on the next screen hit Backup again. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
6. Perform full data wipe task. To do so, click Wipe Data/Factory Reset, then choose Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes. Now, return to CWM recovery main menu. Hit Wipe Cache Partition and after wipe process is done, click Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option.
7. Choose Install zip from SD card, then click Choose zip from SD card. Now, browse and select Liquid-JB-v2.1-RC1-i9300.zip file that you copied to your phone earlier in Step 2 by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation by choosing Yes on next screen and the installation will begin.
8. After the ROM installation is complete, repeat the step 7 but choose the gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip file instead of ROM zip to install the Google Apps package.
9. Once Google Apps is installed, return to main recovery menu and tap Reboot System Now to reboot the phone into Android 4.2.2 LiquidSmooth Jelly Bean custom ROM. The first boot may take some time. So, leave it alone.
10. Restoring to Previous ROM: To return to your previous ROM, boot into recovery, choose Backup and Restore option then restore your earlier ROM by choosing it from the list.
Android 4.2.2 LiquidSmooth Jelly Bean ROM is now successfully installed and running on your Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300.
Also, check out our step-by-step guide to Install Android 4.2.2 LiquidSmooth Jelly Bean ROM on Galaxy Note 2 GTN7100
[Source: Android Jinn]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys