Thousands Tie The Knot In First Moon Church Mass Wedding Since Founder’s Death [PHOTOS]
By Amrutha Gayathri | February 17, 2013 7:55 PM EST
Thousands of people tied the knot in South Korea Sunday in the first mass wedding organized by the Unification Church since the death of its controversial founder Sun Myung Moon in September.
Some 3,500 identically-dressed couples — many of mixed nationality who had met just days before — took part in the ceremony at the church's headquarters in Gapyeong, east of the capital Seoul, AFP reported.
Moon, a self-styled messiah and a media-mogul, set up the Church regarded by its critics as a dangerous cult, in 1954 in Seoul. Its followers, often called Moonies, shared their leader’s strong belief in marriage and anti-Communist sentiments.
Moon, who accumulated massive wealth that included large assets in the U.S., was convicted of massive tax evasion in the 1982 and spent 11 months behind bars. Upon his release from prison, he joined with other American churches to campaign for religious freedom. Moon died five months ago, aged 92, of complications from pneumonia. An estimated 30,000 people attended his funeral.
Moon, who often paired up couples for the Church’s mass weddings, preferred cross-cultural, international marriages, which at times meant that the partners did not share a common language.
Sunday's event was presided over by Moon's 70-year-old widow Hak Ja Han, who picked partners for some 400 of the Church's members a few days before at an "engagement ceremony.”
"Yeah, I was pretty nervous," an attendee Jin Davidson, a 21-year-old student from the U.S., told AFP.
Davidson, whose Australian father and Japanese mother were matched by Moon, said he did not know Japanese and his Japanese bride, Kotona Shimizu, also 21, spoke “only a little English.”
“But we see it as an exciting challenge and proof of our faith," he told AFP.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones