Meteor Reported over San Francisco Hours after Russian Meteorite Impact and 2012 DA14 Fly-By [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 17, 2013 7:40 PM EST
Shortly after a meteor crashed into central Russia, a second was reportedly spotted in skies over the Bay Area (from Santa Clara to Fairfield) and also over the Central Valley cities of Fresno and Stockton, in San Francisco, USA.
Witnesses say they caught a glimpse of a fast-flying object, headed westward, at 8pm PST (4am GMT) on Friday night. The skies above Earth have been busy with activity over the past few days; Friday night was also when the 150ft wide asteroid 2012 DA14 flew by less than 30,000km away from the planet's surface.
A CBC News report said that at its closest, asteroid 2012 DA14 was nearer to us than man-made satellites in geosynchronous orbits and it was only one-tenth the distance to the Moon.
The meteor sighting in San Francisco has received considerable media attention because of the tragic impact of the Russian meteor, which left over 1,000 people injured. However, Jonathan Braidman, an astronomer with the Chabot Space and Science Center in Oakland, said approximately 15,000 tons of space debris enter the Earth's atmosphere every year and that normally the debris breaks up and disintegrates before it reaches the surface. He also said that calculations showed the meteors over the Bay Area and Russia moved in different trajectories, meaning their points of origins were different.
Mike Hankey, operations manager, for the American Meteor Society, told AP that the recent sighting was a sporadic one (a fireball) and not an alarming one.
[Video Courtesy: caideN]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- NASA Scientists Advance Understanding of Climate Change With The Help Of IceCube
- NASA: Early Earth Likely To Have Been Hit By Giant Asteroids
- First Ever Man-Made Leaf That Could Provide Oxygen During Space Travel: A Breathtaking Leap [Watch Video]
- Hair Iron Could Spell the Future of Instant Hair Colour - US Engineers [Watch Video]
- Changes in Global Vegetation to Be Tracked Through Two New Instruments: NASA
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff