Meteor Reported over San Francisco Hours after Russian Meteorite Impact and 2012 DA14 Fly-By [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 17, 2013 7:40 PM EST
Shortly after a meteor crashed into central Russia, a second was reportedly spotted in skies over the Bay Area (from Santa Clara to Fairfield) and also over the Central Valley cities of Fresno and Stockton, in San Francisco, USA.
Witnesses say they caught a glimpse of a fast-flying object, headed westward, at 8pm PST (4am GMT) on Friday night. The skies above Earth have been busy with activity over the past few days; Friday night was also when the 150ft wide asteroid 2012 DA14 flew by less than 30,000km away from the planet's surface.
A CBC News report said that at its closest, asteroid 2012 DA14 was nearer to us than man-made satellites in geosynchronous orbits and it was only one-tenth the distance to the Moon.
The meteor sighting in San Francisco has received considerable media attention because of the tragic impact of the Russian meteor, which left over 1,000 people injured. However, Jonathan Braidman, an astronomer with the Chabot Space and Science Center in Oakland, said approximately 15,000 tons of space debris enter the Earth's atmosphere every year and that normally the debris breaks up and disintegrates before it reaches the surface. He also said that calculations showed the meteors over the Bay Area and Russia moved in different trajectories, meaning their points of origins were different.
Mike Hankey, operations manager, for the American Meteor Society, told AP that the recent sighting was a sporadic one (a fireball) and not an alarming one.
[Video Courtesy: caideN]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Bad Memories Can be Changed into Good Ones, Say Scientists
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports