Manchester United and Chelsea Chasing Hamburg's Young Forward - Report
By Vishnuprasad S | February 17, 2013 7:38 PM EST
Manchester United and Chelsea are reportedly ready to battle it out for Hamburg forward Son Heung-Min.
The 20-year-old has been impressive for the Bundesliga outfit this season, scoring nine goals in 20 appearances, which includes a brace in the 4-1 win over Borussia Dortmund at Westfalenstadion last week. The South Korean has also been a regular for his national side, since making his senior international debut three years ago.
Sir Alex Ferguson dispatched his top scouts to watch Son recently, according to the Daily Mirror, and is now considering making an approach at the end of the season. Meanwhile, Chelsea, who are aware of Son's commercial appeal in the Far East, are also keen on the youngster and weighing up a summer move.
Son can play anywhere across the frontline and can also operate as an advancing midfielder. The Asian star's 6ft-plus frame makes him more of a physical presence than many of his compatriots.
The player joined Hamburg's youth setup from Seoul's Dongbuk High School in 2008 as a 16-year-old and broke into their first team two years later. The report claims the Bundesliga side values Son at around £10m.
Son recently stated that playing in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil is his main goal and feels his performances in the next 18 months will help him stake his claim for a place in South Korea's 23-man squad.
"The World Cup in Brazil is my main aim and my hope. I've still got a little over a year to keep improving in order to represent my country there. I'm still young and have a lot to learn," the forward told Fifa.com.
Son had visited Brazil at the end of last year, when Hamburg made the trip to inaugurate Gremio's new stadium in Porto Alegre.
"The atmosphere at the ground, the weather and the way people breathe football is impressive. I'll give everything to be able to play there," the youngster added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Boxing News: Freddie Roach Not Buying Into Arum's Claim Of Pacquiao v Mayweather In 2015, Claims 'Money' Will Say 'No' After Algieri Fight
- Door Is Open For Brock Lesnar To Make UFC Return -- Dana White
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899