Manchester United and Chelsea Chasing Hamburg's Young Forward - Report
By Vishnuprasad S | February 17, 2013 7:38 PM EST
Manchester United and Chelsea are reportedly ready to battle it out for Hamburg forward Son Heung-Min.
The 20-year-old has been impressive for the Bundesliga outfit this season, scoring nine goals in 20 appearances, which includes a brace in the 4-1 win over Borussia Dortmund at Westfalenstadion last week. The South Korean has also been a regular for his national side, since making his senior international debut three years ago.
Sir Alex Ferguson dispatched his top scouts to watch Son recently, according to the Daily Mirror, and is now considering making an approach at the end of the season. Meanwhile, Chelsea, who are aware of Son's commercial appeal in the Far East, are also keen on the youngster and weighing up a summer move.
Son can play anywhere across the frontline and can also operate as an advancing midfielder. The Asian star's 6ft-plus frame makes him more of a physical presence than many of his compatriots.
The player joined Hamburg's youth setup from Seoul's Dongbuk High School in 2008 as a 16-year-old and broke into their first team two years later. The report claims the Bundesliga side values Son at around £10m.
Son recently stated that playing in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil is his main goal and feels his performances in the next 18 months will help him stake his claim for a place in South Korea's 23-man squad.
"The World Cup in Brazil is my main aim and my hope. I've still got a little over a year to keep improving in order to represent my country there. I'm still young and have a lot to learn," the forward told Fifa.com.
Son had visited Brazil at the end of last year, when Hamburg made the trip to inaugurate Gremio's new stadium in Porto Alegre.
"The atmosphere at the ground, the weather and the way people breathe football is impressive. I'll give everything to be able to play there," the youngster added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Dallas Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones Badly Wants Mayweather vs. Pacquiao At Cowboys Stadium
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies