Manchester United and Chelsea Chasing Hamburg's Young Forward - Report
By Vishnuprasad S | February 17, 2013 7:38 PM EST
Manchester United and Chelsea are reportedly ready to battle it out for Hamburg forward Son Heung-Min.
The 20-year-old has been impressive for the Bundesliga outfit this season, scoring nine goals in 20 appearances, which includes a brace in the 4-1 win over Borussia Dortmund at Westfalenstadion last week. The South Korean has also been a regular for his national side, since making his senior international debut three years ago.
Sir Alex Ferguson dispatched his top scouts to watch Son recently, according to the Daily Mirror, and is now considering making an approach at the end of the season. Meanwhile, Chelsea, who are aware of Son's commercial appeal in the Far East, are also keen on the youngster and weighing up a summer move.
Son can play anywhere across the frontline and can also operate as an advancing midfielder. The Asian star's 6ft-plus frame makes him more of a physical presence than many of his compatriots.
The player joined Hamburg's youth setup from Seoul's Dongbuk High School in 2008 as a 16-year-old and broke into their first team two years later. The report claims the Bundesliga side values Son at around £10m.
Son recently stated that playing in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil is his main goal and feels his performances in the next 18 months will help him stake his claim for a place in South Korea's 23-man squad.
"The World Cup in Brazil is my main aim and my hope. I've still got a little over a year to keep improving in order to represent my country there. I'm still young and have a lot to learn," the forward told Fifa.com.
Son had visited Brazil at the end of last year, when Hamburg made the trip to inaugurate Gremio's new stadium in Porto Alegre.
"The atmosphere at the ground, the weather and the way people breathe football is impressive. I'll give everything to be able to play there," the youngster added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Miami Heat Prepare For Life Without LeBron James, To Feature More Of Wade And Bosh In New System
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown