Manchester United and Chelsea Chasing Hamburg's Young Forward - Report
By Vishnuprasad S | February 17, 2013 7:38 PM EST
Manchester United and Chelsea are reportedly ready to battle it out for Hamburg forward Son Heung-Min.
The 20-year-old has been impressive for the Bundesliga outfit this season, scoring nine goals in 20 appearances, which includes a brace in the 4-1 win over Borussia Dortmund at Westfalenstadion last week. The South Korean has also been a regular for his national side, since making his senior international debut three years ago.
Sir Alex Ferguson dispatched his top scouts to watch Son recently, according to the Daily Mirror, and is now considering making an approach at the end of the season. Meanwhile, Chelsea, who are aware of Son's commercial appeal in the Far East, are also keen on the youngster and weighing up a summer move.
Son can play anywhere across the frontline and can also operate as an advancing midfielder. The Asian star's 6ft-plus frame makes him more of a physical presence than many of his compatriots.
The player joined Hamburg's youth setup from Seoul's Dongbuk High School in 2008 as a 16-year-old and broke into their first team two years later. The report claims the Bundesliga side values Son at around £10m.
Son recently stated that playing in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil is his main goal and feels his performances in the next 18 months will help him stake his claim for a place in South Korea's 23-man squad.
"The World Cup in Brazil is my main aim and my hope. I've still got a little over a year to keep improving in order to represent my country there. I'm still young and have a lot to learn," the forward told Fifa.com.
Son had visited Brazil at the end of last year, when Hamburg made the trip to inaugurate Gremio's new stadium in Porto Alegre.
"The atmosphere at the ground, the weather and the way people breathe football is impressive. I'll give everything to be able to play there," the youngster added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Report: Duchess Expecting a Baby Girl, Prince William Wants 3 Kids [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On