Manchester United and Chelsea Chasing Hamburg's Young Forward - Report
By Vishnuprasad S | February 17, 2013 7:38 PM EST
Manchester United and Chelsea are reportedly ready to battle it out for Hamburg forward Son Heung-Min.
The 20-year-old has been impressive for the Bundesliga outfit this season, scoring nine goals in 20 appearances, which includes a brace in the 4-1 win over Borussia Dortmund at Westfalenstadion last week. The South Korean has also been a regular for his national side, since making his senior international debut three years ago.
Sir Alex Ferguson dispatched his top scouts to watch Son recently, according to the Daily Mirror, and is now considering making an approach at the end of the season. Meanwhile, Chelsea, who are aware of Son's commercial appeal in the Far East, are also keen on the youngster and weighing up a summer move.
Son can play anywhere across the frontline and can also operate as an advancing midfielder. The Asian star's 6ft-plus frame makes him more of a physical presence than many of his compatriots.
The player joined Hamburg's youth setup from Seoul's Dongbuk High School in 2008 as a 16-year-old and broke into their first team two years later. The report claims the Bundesliga side values Son at around £10m.
Son recently stated that playing in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil is his main goal and feels his performances in the next 18 months will help him stake his claim for a place in South Korea's 23-man squad.
"The World Cup in Brazil is my main aim and my hope. I've still got a little over a year to keep improving in order to represent my country there. I'm still young and have a lot to learn," the forward told Fifa.com.
Son had visited Brazil at the end of last year, when Hamburg made the trip to inaugurate Gremio's new stadium in Porto Alegre.
"The atmosphere at the ground, the weather and the way people breathe football is impressive. I'll give everything to be able to play there," the youngster added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June