Facebook's New Feature Lets Users Pay and Promote Friends' Posts
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 17, 2013 7:12 PM EST
Facebook on Friday has introduced a new feature wherein users have to pay to promote their friends posts.
The latest feature by the social networking company was in a move to make posts and status updates more popular than it is now. The feature came nearly four months after Facebook introduced a feature which allows users to promote their own photographs, status and updates.
"Now, in addition to promoting your own posts, you can promote a friend's post, such as a fundraising or celebration announcement," Facebook said in a blog post.
The latest feature is exclusively available for users who have less than 5,000 friends. The cost of promoting posts or updates depends on the geographical location and the number of people who receive the post.
Although, Facebook said that the new feature would address the privacy concerns of an individual, it has raised several eyebrows when it comes to respecting one's privacy is their posts are promoted without consent.
"It's important to know that this feature respects the privacy of the original poster - it will promote to everyone who originally saw it," said Facebook.
Facebook has been rolling out a number of features to streamline its revenue system. Earlier in January, Facebook added a new feature which allows users to contact the company's founder, Mark Zuckerberg, for $100 a message.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon