Facebook's New Feature Lets Users Pay and Promote Friends' Posts
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 17, 2013 7:12 PM EST
Facebook on Friday has introduced a new feature wherein users have to pay to promote their friends posts.
The latest feature by the social networking company was in a move to make posts and status updates more popular than it is now. The feature came nearly four months after Facebook introduced a feature which allows users to promote their own photographs, status and updates.
"Now, in addition to promoting your own posts, you can promote a friend's post, such as a fundraising or celebration announcement," Facebook said in a blog post.
The latest feature is exclusively available for users who have less than 5,000 friends. The cost of promoting posts or updates depends on the geographical location and the number of people who receive the post.
Although, Facebook said that the new feature would address the privacy concerns of an individual, it has raised several eyebrows when it comes to respecting one's privacy is their posts are promoted without consent.
"It's important to know that this feature respects the privacy of the original poster - it will promote to everyone who originally saw it," said Facebook.
Facebook has been rolling out a number of features to streamline its revenue system. Earlier in January, Facebook added a new feature which allows users to contact the company's founder, Mark Zuckerberg, for $100 a message.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Taking a Time Off in August Amidst Miscarriage & Adopting a Child Claims
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Vacation Plans: Visit Prince Charles & Camilla Parker-Bowles
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports
- LG G2 Android 4.4.4 KitKat Guide: When to Hit Your Region and How to Install