Barcelona Continue Arsenal Raid, Now Target Defender - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 17, 2013 6:58 PM EST
Barcelona are interested in signing Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen, according to the Sunday People. The Catalans are believed to want the Belgian to replace Eric Abidal.
The 33-year-old Abidal has had long-term health problems and was given a liver transplant in April last year. The French international has not played for the Nou Camp side since then and has made only one competitive appearance for Les Blues this season. And although Barcelona's support of Abidal in these conditions has been exemplary, his health problems and advancing age has forced the club to look for replacements and Vermaelen appears to be the defender of choice.
The 27-year-old Belgian international only joined Arsene Wenger's men in 2009 but is already the first team captain and has made more than 100 appearances for the Gunners. Arsenal fans will therefore be anxious that he not leave the Emirates and follow an increasingly long list of players swapping north London for Barcelona. Should the Belgian make the switch, it will also mark the third straight summer that Wenger has allowed high-profile first team players to leave the club.
The Catalans will be aware of the difficulty in prising yet another player from Arsenal but will almost definitely look to use Spain striker David Villa as bait in any offer. The 31-year-old ex-Valencia forward is a World Cup and European Championship winner with Spain and a La Liga and Champions League winner with Barcelona. He is coming off a broken leg from 2011 and a lack of consistent game time at the Nou Camp but the fact he has still managed 11 goals this season is proof he could contribute at the Emirates.
Wenger was strongly linked with a move for the forward in January and was even believed to have made a deadline day offer for him. Villa, for his part, has confessed he would like to play for Arsenal. Unfortunately, Barcelona were unwilling to sell him in the middle of the season. A summer swap could be on the cards but reports that Wenger has lost interest in Villa have also been circulating. In any case, as things stand now, is unlikely to be particularly advantageous to Arsenal.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People