BMW Of North America Recalling 534,810 US Vehicles In February And March
By J.J. McGrath | February 17, 2013 2:20 PM EST
Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (ETR:BMW) may well be the world's most reputable company -- as Forbes labeled it last June -- but BMW of North America LLC will nonetheless be recalling 534,810 Beemers for two separate safety reasons in coming weeks.
According to the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, or NHTSA, one recall is centered on the braking system, and the other recall is centered on the electrical system. The former recall is anticipated to begin this month, and the latter recall is expected to start next month.
The recall related to the braking system could potentially have an effect on the owners of 30,265 Beemers. In this case, BMW will be recalling certain model year 2007-2010 X5 SAV vehicles that are equipped with eight-cylinder engines and were manufactured between Sept. 12, 2006, and March 18, 2010.
"The brake vacuum pump may leak a small amount of lubricating oil into the hose. The contamination could result in a loss of power assist braking," NHTSA said. "The loss of power assist in braking could increase stopping distance and lead to a vehicle crash."
BMW will notify owners about this recall, and dealers will replace each brake vacuum line with one that contains a check valve, free of charge.
The recall related to the electrical system could potentially have an impact on the owners of 504,545 vehicles. In this case, BMW will be recalling certain model year 2008-2012 1-Series coupes and convertibles manufactured from December 2007 to July 2011; 2007-2011 3-Series coupes and convertibles manufactured from March 2007 to July 2011; 2007-2011 3-Series sedans manufactured from March 2007 to October 2011; 2007-2011 3-Series sports wagons manufactured from March 2007 to June 2011; and 2009-2011 Z4 vehicles manufactured from March 2009 to June 2011.
"The connector for the positive battery cable connector and the corresponding terminal on the fuse box may degrade … Over time, the high current flow and heat from electrical resistance may lead to a breakage of the connection, and a loss of electrical power to the vehicle," NHTSA said. "If there is a loss of electrical power to the vehicle, the vehicle may unexpectedly stall, increasing the risk of a crash."
BMW will notify owners about this recall, and dealers will replace each positive battery cable connector and secure it with an improved method, free of charge.
Ironically, the issue of quality was most prominent in the Forbes report last year on BMW's being designated the world's most reputable company by the Reputation Institute, a consulting firm: Kasper Ulf Nielsen, the firm’s executive partner, said of the Munich-based automaker, “BMW has earned the trust and respect of consumers all around the world through its consistent focus on delivering high quality in all of its actions.”
Guess nobody's perfect.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Companies Push Back IPO Plans Due to Mega Alibaba Share Launch
- Vodafone Buys Ericsson Equipment to Replace 5-Year-Old Network Technologies
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Shares Reach $100 Mark Since Stock Split; First Flagship Store in Middle East May Open Soon
- Small Businesses Claim Positive Financial Situation but Negative on Outlook
- Anti-Virus Company Symantec to Switch to Subscription Service, Consolidates Norton Products
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists