Finmeccanica Unit Says India did not Cancel Helicopter Order
February 17, 2013 1:44 PM EST
Italian defence group Finmeccanica's subsidiary AugustaWestland denied on Saturday that India had cancelled a $750 million order for a dozen helicopters and said authorities had asked for "clarifications" within a week's time.
On Friday, the Indian defence ministry said it had begun the procedure to cancel the order.
"The Indian Ministry of Defence has not cancelled the contract but has given notice requesting information within seven days," AugustaWestland said in a statement.
"AgustaWestland is preparing its answer to timely meet the Indian authorities' request."
The British-based subsidiary said it was confident it would prove that all its past and present managers had conducted themselves in accordance with the law.
India has frozen payments for the AgustaWestland helicopters pending an inquiry after Italian police earlier this week arrested the former head of Finmeccanica, Giuseppe Orsi, for allegedly paying bribes to Indian politicians to win the contract.
Three of the helicopters have already been delivered.
India launched its own inquiry after Orsi's arrest and investigators are due to travel to Italy next week to find out more about the case.
Finnmeccanica could be blacklisted in India for five years if found guilty of bribery. Defence analysts IHS Jane's says Finmeccanica has been pursuing opportunities in India valued at more than $12 billion in 2013.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans