Tim Tebow Under Fire After Announcing Plans To Speak At Anti-Gay Church
By Eric Brown | February 17, 2013 12:24 PM EST
Tim Tebow might be having difficulty with the New York Jets at the moment, but he’s still a surefire hit with the Christian right. The Jets’ backup quarterback has scheduled a speech at a Dallas megachurch, earning him plenty of online criticism because of the church’s anti-gay stance.
Tebow is set to speak at First Baptist Dallas on April 28. There’s no word on what Tebow will be discussing at a Sunday morning worship service.
The megachurch’s pastor, the Rev. Robert Jeffress, has repeatedly criticized gays and lesbians, and Tebow’s association with the church has come under fire online due to Jeffress’ stance.
In a headline, the New York Daily News even labeled the event a “hate date.”
According to Right Wing Watch, Jeffress “has described gays and lesbians as ‘perverse,’ ‘miserable,’ and ‘abnormal’ people who engage in an ‘unnatural’ and ‘filthy practice’ that will lead to the ‘implosion of our country.’ Jeffress argues that the gay community employs Chinese ‘brainwashing techniques’ in order to have homosexuality ‘crammed down our throats.’”
In a sermon available below, Jeffress claims gay and lesbian activists have been engaged in a decades-long effort to brainwash the American public into accepting homosexuality as normal.
Gays and lesbians aren't the only ones who are targets of Jeffress’ wrath, either. The Texas pastor has repeatedly criticized Hinduism, Islam, Mormonism, and nearly every religion outside mainstream evangelical Christianity. Jeffress has also come down hard on the Roman Catholic Church, maintaining that the church represents “the genius of Satan” and implying that Catholics will end up in Hell.
And while Jeffress has claimed Mormonism comes straight “from the pit of Hell,” he still publicly supported Mitt Romney’s bid for the U.S. presidency last year because Barack Obama is “paving the way for the future reign of the Antichrist.”
You can listen to Jeffress’ sermon claiming that gays and lesbians are brainwashing Americans below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Tony Stewart Reveals Retirement Not In Options, Reflects On His Life After the Fatal Crash
- Sugar Ray Leonard Adds Fuel To Pacquiao-Mayweather Clamour
- WWE Update: Bray Wyatt’s Twitter Post Hints Upcoming Fight With Sting [VIDEO]
- Rafael Nadal Gives Li Na Flowers, A Teary Farewell At Beijing China Open
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks