Tim Tebow Under Fire After Announcing Plans To Speak At Anti-Gay Church
By Eric Brown | February 17, 2013 12:24 PM EST
Tim Tebow might be having difficulty with the New York Jets at the moment, but he’s still a surefire hit with the Christian right. The Jets’ backup quarterback has scheduled a speech at a Dallas megachurch, earning him plenty of online criticism because of the church’s anti-gay stance.
Tebow is set to speak at First Baptist Dallas on April 28. There’s no word on what Tebow will be discussing at a Sunday morning worship service.
The megachurch’s pastor, the Rev. Robert Jeffress, has repeatedly criticized gays and lesbians, and Tebow’s association with the church has come under fire online due to Jeffress’ stance.
In a headline, the New York Daily News even labeled the event a “hate date.”
According to Right Wing Watch, Jeffress “has described gays and lesbians as ‘perverse,’ ‘miserable,’ and ‘abnormal’ people who engage in an ‘unnatural’ and ‘filthy practice’ that will lead to the ‘implosion of our country.’ Jeffress argues that the gay community employs Chinese ‘brainwashing techniques’ in order to have homosexuality ‘crammed down our throats.’”
In a sermon available below, Jeffress claims gay and lesbian activists have been engaged in a decades-long effort to brainwash the American public into accepting homosexuality as normal.
Gays and lesbians aren't the only ones who are targets of Jeffress’ wrath, either. The Texas pastor has repeatedly criticized Hinduism, Islam, Mormonism, and nearly every religion outside mainstream evangelical Christianity. Jeffress has also come down hard on the Roman Catholic Church, maintaining that the church represents “the genius of Satan” and implying that Catholics will end up in Hell.
And while Jeffress has claimed Mormonism comes straight “from the pit of Hell,” he still publicly supported Mitt Romney’s bid for the U.S. presidency last year because Barack Obama is “paving the way for the future reign of the Antichrist.”
You can listen to Jeffress’ sermon claiming that gays and lesbians are brainwashing Americans below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’