Tim Tebow Under Fire After Announcing Plans To Speak At Anti-Gay Church
By Eric Brown | February 17, 2013 12:24 PM EST
Tim Tebow might be having difficulty with the New York Jets at the moment, but he’s still a surefire hit with the Christian right. The Jets’ backup quarterback has scheduled a speech at a Dallas megachurch, earning him plenty of online criticism because of the church’s anti-gay stance.
Tebow is set to speak at First Baptist Dallas on April 28. There’s no word on what Tebow will be discussing at a Sunday morning worship service.
The megachurch’s pastor, the Rev. Robert Jeffress, has repeatedly criticized gays and lesbians, and Tebow’s association with the church has come under fire online due to Jeffress’ stance.
In a headline, the New York Daily News even labeled the event a “hate date.”
According to Right Wing Watch, Jeffress “has described gays and lesbians as ‘perverse,’ ‘miserable,’ and ‘abnormal’ people who engage in an ‘unnatural’ and ‘filthy practice’ that will lead to the ‘implosion of our country.’ Jeffress argues that the gay community employs Chinese ‘brainwashing techniques’ in order to have homosexuality ‘crammed down our throats.’”
In a sermon available below, Jeffress claims gay and lesbian activists have been engaged in a decades-long effort to brainwash the American public into accepting homosexuality as normal.
Gays and lesbians aren't the only ones who are targets of Jeffress’ wrath, either. The Texas pastor has repeatedly criticized Hinduism, Islam, Mormonism, and nearly every religion outside mainstream evangelical Christianity. Jeffress has also come down hard on the Roman Catholic Church, maintaining that the church represents “the genius of Satan” and implying that Catholics will end up in Hell.
And while Jeffress has claimed Mormonism comes straight “from the pit of Hell,” he still publicly supported Mitt Romney’s bid for the U.S. presidency last year because Barack Obama is “paving the way for the future reign of the Antichrist.”
You can listen to Jeffress’ sermon claiming that gays and lesbians are brainwashing Americans below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How