Tim Tebow Under Fire After Announcing Plans To Speak At Anti-Gay Church
By Eric Brown | February 17, 2013 12:24 PM EST
Tim Tebow might be having difficulty with the New York Jets at the moment, but he’s still a surefire hit with the Christian right. The Jets’ backup quarterback has scheduled a speech at a Dallas megachurch, earning him plenty of online criticism because of the church’s anti-gay stance.
Tebow is set to speak at First Baptist Dallas on April 28. There’s no word on what Tebow will be discussing at a Sunday morning worship service.
The megachurch’s pastor, the Rev. Robert Jeffress, has repeatedly criticized gays and lesbians, and Tebow’s association with the church has come under fire online due to Jeffress’ stance.
In a headline, the New York Daily News even labeled the event a “hate date.”
According to Right Wing Watch, Jeffress “has described gays and lesbians as ‘perverse,’ ‘miserable,’ and ‘abnormal’ people who engage in an ‘unnatural’ and ‘filthy practice’ that will lead to the ‘implosion of our country.’ Jeffress argues that the gay community employs Chinese ‘brainwashing techniques’ in order to have homosexuality ‘crammed down our throats.’”
In a sermon available below, Jeffress claims gay and lesbian activists have been engaged in a decades-long effort to brainwash the American public into accepting homosexuality as normal.
Gays and lesbians aren't the only ones who are targets of Jeffress’ wrath, either. The Texas pastor has repeatedly criticized Hinduism, Islam, Mormonism, and nearly every religion outside mainstream evangelical Christianity. Jeffress has also come down hard on the Roman Catholic Church, maintaining that the church represents “the genius of Satan” and implying that Catholics will end up in Hell.
And while Jeffress has claimed Mormonism comes straight “from the pit of Hell,” he still publicly supported Mitt Romney’s bid for the U.S. presidency last year because Barack Obama is “paving the way for the future reign of the Antichrist.”
You can listen to Jeffress’ sermon claiming that gays and lesbians are brainwashing Americans below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga