Tim Tebow Under Fire After Announcing Plans To Speak At Anti-Gay Church
By Eric Brown | February 17, 2013 12:24 PM EST
Tim Tebow might be having difficulty with the New York Jets at the moment, but he’s still a surefire hit with the Christian right. The Jets’ backup quarterback has scheduled a speech at a Dallas megachurch, earning him plenty of online criticism because of the church’s anti-gay stance.
Tebow is set to speak at First Baptist Dallas on April 28. There’s no word on what Tebow will be discussing at a Sunday morning worship service.
The megachurch’s pastor, the Rev. Robert Jeffress, has repeatedly criticized gays and lesbians, and Tebow’s association with the church has come under fire online due to Jeffress’ stance.
In a headline, the New York Daily News even labeled the event a “hate date.”
According to Right Wing Watch, Jeffress “has described gays and lesbians as ‘perverse,’ ‘miserable,’ and ‘abnormal’ people who engage in an ‘unnatural’ and ‘filthy practice’ that will lead to the ‘implosion of our country.’ Jeffress argues that the gay community employs Chinese ‘brainwashing techniques’ in order to have homosexuality ‘crammed down our throats.’”
In a sermon available below, Jeffress claims gay and lesbian activists have been engaged in a decades-long effort to brainwash the American public into accepting homosexuality as normal.
Gays and lesbians aren't the only ones who are targets of Jeffress’ wrath, either. The Texas pastor has repeatedly criticized Hinduism, Islam, Mormonism, and nearly every religion outside mainstream evangelical Christianity. Jeffress has also come down hard on the Roman Catholic Church, maintaining that the church represents “the genius of Satan” and implying that Catholics will end up in Hell.
And while Jeffress has claimed Mormonism comes straight “from the pit of Hell,” he still publicly supported Mitt Romney’s bid for the U.S. presidency last year because Barack Obama is “paving the way for the future reign of the Antichrist.”
You can listen to Jeffress’ sermon claiming that gays and lesbians are brainwashing Americans below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]