Psy to Perform at Inauguration of South Korea’s President, Announces New Single (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 17, 2013 10:41 AM EST
Korean YouTube sensation Psy will perform at the inauguration ceremony of South Korea's first female president Park Geun-hye. The swearing in rite will be held on Feb 25 at the National Assembly Square in Seoul.
Ms Park is the country's 11th head of state. Top world leaders are expected to attend the historic even and 70,000 have been invited to witness the event.
Like two former female presidents of the Philippines and Indonesia, she was a presidential daughter, being the offspring of Park Chung-hee who served as South Korea's president from 1963 to 1979. She is the chairwoman of the Saenuri Party and was an MP at the Parliament from 1998 to 2012.
Psy, who held a one-day concert in Manila, Philippines on Saturday, Feb 16, is expected to perform at the presidential swearing-in rite his monster hit, Gangnam Style, which has more than 1.3 billion hits in YouTube.
He is also expected to perform his other songs from the 1990s to 2000s such as Oh Pilseung Korea and I Know. Besides Psy, other performers in the ceremony are musical actors Jang Yoon Jung and Sonya who will belt out tunes from the 1950s to 1980s.
In his Manila concert, held at the Mall of Asia, Psy announced he would release a single in April. The concert was jampacked and featured also Filipino comedians Ai-ai de las Alas and the duo of Jose Manalo and Wally Bayola.
It was originally scheduled Dec 20 but was moved two months later right after Valentine's Day.
Psy or Park Jae Sang, had an all-white suit and his trademark sunglasses for the performance. He encouraged the audience to dance along with him. "I'm going to do exactly what you are going to do," PEP quoted the Korean artist.
He said if people just sit down watching him, he will also sit down on stage. At his final number, when he noticed Filipinos taking photos of him, reminded the crowd of his previous instruction. "Don't take photos. Manila, show me what you got! You know the dance steps . . . dance like crazy!"
And the crowd did as he instructed them.
Psy held a Chinese Lunar New Year concert earlier this week in Malaysia where the crowd thumbed down the country's prime minister attempted to inject politics into the musical event.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder–Nina Dobrev Reunion Not Happening: 'The Vampire Diaries' (TVD) Star Is 'Falling In Love' With Nikki Reed—Report
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Lawson’s Girlfriend Reportedly Entering the House Plus Sandra Gets Evicted [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- 'NCIS' Season 12, Episode 5 Spoilers: Gibbs' Gut OKs FBI Agent Leia Pendergast; A Favorite Guest Star Returns [Watch NCIS 12x5 Promo Video]
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier