Psy to Perform at Inauguration of South Korea’s President, Announces New Single (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 17, 2013 10:41 AM EST
Korean YouTube sensation Psy will perform at the inauguration ceremony of South Korea's first female president Park Geun-hye. The swearing in rite will be held on Feb 25 at the National Assembly Square in Seoul.
Ms Park is the country's 11th head of state. Top world leaders are expected to attend the historic even and 70,000 have been invited to witness the event.
Like two former female presidents of the Philippines and Indonesia, she was a presidential daughter, being the offspring of Park Chung-hee who served as South Korea's president from 1963 to 1979. She is the chairwoman of the Saenuri Party and was an MP at the Parliament from 1998 to 2012.
Psy, who held a one-day concert in Manila, Philippines on Saturday, Feb 16, is expected to perform at the presidential swearing-in rite his monster hit, Gangnam Style, which has more than 1.3 billion hits in YouTube.
He is also expected to perform his other songs from the 1990s to 2000s such as Oh Pilseung Korea and I Know. Besides Psy, other performers in the ceremony are musical actors Jang Yoon Jung and Sonya who will belt out tunes from the 1950s to 1980s.
In his Manila concert, held at the Mall of Asia, Psy announced he would release a single in April. The concert was jampacked and featured also Filipino comedians Ai-ai de las Alas and the duo of Jose Manalo and Wally Bayola.
It was originally scheduled Dec 20 but was moved two months later right after Valentine's Day.
Psy or Park Jae Sang, had an all-white suit and his trademark sunglasses for the performance. He encouraged the audience to dance along with him. "I'm going to do exactly what you are going to do," PEP quoted the Korean artist.
He said if people just sit down watching him, he will also sit down on stage. At his final number, when he noticed Filipinos taking photos of him, reminded the crowd of his previous instruction. "Don't take photos. Manila, show me what you got! You know the dance steps . . . dance like crazy!"
And the crowd did as he instructed them.
Psy held a Chinese Lunar New Year concert earlier this week in Malaysia where the crowd thumbed down the country's prime minister attempted to inject politics into the musical event.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5 Filming Spoilers: Beardless Rick Grimes Seems To Be On The Set
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 1, 2014: Hope Reveals Something To Wyatt And Katie Almost Loses A Loved One [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Bachelor Australia' Season 2 Preview: Someone Drops The L Bomb, Marriage Proposal In Season Finale
- ‘Orange is the New Black Story’ Season 3 Update: New Corrections Officer To Be Introduced, Likely To Take Pornstache's Position At Litchfield Penitentiary
- “American Horror Story” Season 4 Spoilers: Emma Roberts' Maggie And Evan Peters’ Jimmy Darling To Be In A Romantic Relationship
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks