Psy to Perform at Inauguration of South Korea’s President, Announces New Single (VIDEOS)
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 17, 2013 10:41 AM EST
Korean YouTube sensation Psy will perform at the inauguration ceremony of South Korea's first female president Park Geun-hye. The swearing in rite will be held on Feb 25 at the National Assembly Square in Seoul.
Ms Park is the country's 11th head of state. Top world leaders are expected to attend the historic even and 70,000 have been invited to witness the event.
Like two former female presidents of the Philippines and Indonesia, she was a presidential daughter, being the offspring of Park Chung-hee who served as South Korea's president from 1963 to 1979. She is the chairwoman of the Saenuri Party and was an MP at the Parliament from 1998 to 2012.
Psy, who held a one-day concert in Manila, Philippines on Saturday, Feb 16, is expected to perform at the presidential swearing-in rite his monster hit, Gangnam Style, which has more than 1.3 billion hits in YouTube.
He is also expected to perform his other songs from the 1990s to 2000s such as Oh Pilseung Korea and I Know. Besides Psy, other performers in the ceremony are musical actors Jang Yoon Jung and Sonya who will belt out tunes from the 1950s to 1980s.
In his Manila concert, held at the Mall of Asia, Psy announced he would release a single in April. The concert was jampacked and featured also Filipino comedians Ai-ai de las Alas and the duo of Jose Manalo and Wally Bayola.
It was originally scheduled Dec 20 but was moved two months later right after Valentine's Day.
Psy or Park Jae Sang, had an all-white suit and his trademark sunglasses for the performance. He encouraged the audience to dance along with him. "I'm going to do exactly what you are going to do," PEP quoted the Korean artist.
He said if people just sit down watching him, he will also sit down on stage. At his final number, when he noticed Filipinos taking photos of him, reminded the crowd of his previous instruction. "Don't take photos. Manila, show me what you got! You know the dance steps . . . dance like crazy!"
And the crowd did as he instructed them.
Psy held a Chinese Lunar New Year concert earlier this week in Malaysia where the crowd thumbed down the country's prime minister attempted to inject politics into the musical event.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015