Dallas Cowboys News: Dwight Freeney A Good Fit For Monte Kiffin's Defense?
February 17, 2013 6:39 AM EST
After 11 seasons, 107.5 sacks, and a Super Bowl title, the Indianapolis Colts decided to part ways with defensive end Dwight Freeney.
The Colts announced Friday that they had informed the seven-time Pro Bowler they would not renew his contract.
The 32-year-old spent his entire career with the Colts, but much of the NFL learned that Indianapolis can give up on an older player a little too soon, as evidenced by Peyton Manning’s rejuvenation with the Denver Broncos this past season.
Freeney’s veteran leadership and decade of experience may be a solid addition to the Dallas Cowboys, who are switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 defense under new defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin.
The Colts run a 3-4 defense, but Freeney has been labeled a 4-3 defensive end, and yet he still excelled. He is currently fifth amongst active players on the all-time sack list, and 21st overall. Freeney is just behind current Cowboy linebacker DeMarcus Ware.
Clearly Freeney has the shown the ability to play outside of his comfort zone and Dallas needs help across the board on defense. The Cowboys were 19th against the pass, which could be attributed by their failure to pressure the quarterback. Dallas was ranked 20th overall with 34 sacks.
Ware may need time to adjust to Kiffin’s new 3-4 system. Since Dallas selected him 11th overall in 2005, the Cowboys have built around Ware and only within the 4-3, and while he stated publicly he was open to the switch, having a veteran defensive end more naturally suited to the scheme could make the transition simpler.
Cowboys defensive line coach Rod Marinelli reportedly suggested Ware may actually improve his production in the 4-3, as he will switch to defensive end.
“I think it’ll aid him a little bit, because your takeoff is better,” Marinelli said to the Dallas Morning News. “Your keys are a little more consistent with what you’re doing. That’s my opinion. I see him, I mean he’s an elite rusher right now. I just think the more opportunity he has, doing the same things every day, every week, the repetition, which allows you to become even faster. The sky is the limit for him, I believe.”
Freeney could open up lanes for linebacker Anthony Spencer, who picked up the slack while Ware played through several injuries last season. Spencer was second on the team with 11 sacks last year, nearly doubling his career-best, and is a free agent this season.
However Spencer could prove too expensive for Dallas. The Cowboys are already $20 million over the salary cap, and earlier this week said they were working on a contract extension for quarterback Tony Romo.
Freeney made $14 million in base salary last season with the Colts, and while he can expect a pay cut due to his advanced age, he may not drop his price enough for Dallas. Still should Spencer bolt to the highest bidder, Freeney may be a good second, slightly cheaper, option.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet