Google to Open Retail Stores by End of 2013: Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 17, 2013 12:50 AM EST
Search giant Google is reportedly planning to open its own retail stores in US by the end of this year.
Technology blog 9to5google, citing "an extremely reliable source," reported that the Google "is in the process of building stand-alone retail stores in the U.S. and hopes to have the first flagship Google Stores open for the holidays in major metropolitan areas."
It also reported that Google's latest move is to give the users a hands-on experience of the expensive hardware before they buy it. The company believed that there is obvious reluctance from the users to buy costly hardware without trying it. The upcoming stores are likely to function independently.
"The leadership thought consumers would need to try Google Glass first hand to make a purchase. Without being able to use them first hand, few non-techies would be interested in buying Google's glasses (which will retail from between $500 to $1,000). From there, the decision to sell other Google-branded products made sense," said the report.
"Along with Glass, Google will have an opportunity to demonstrate other upcoming and Google X projects like driverless cars and mini-drone delivery systems at its stores," it added.
However, Google is still believed to be in a denial mode. According to Cnet report, the company has denied the rumours of retail stores plan in December.
"We aren't planning on being a retailer," Cnet quoted Sameer Samat, Google Shopping head. "We don't view being a retailer right now as the right decision."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- Biggest Australian IPO in 4 Years as Healthscope Could Raises $2.12 Billion
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales