Samsung Posts Android Jellybean Kernel Source for Galaxy S II GT-i9100, GT-i9100 M
By Vittorio Hernandez | February 16, 2013 11:27 PM EST
There is great news for Samsung users owning Galaxy S2 for the international versions is finally receiving an update of Jellybean. The almost-forgotten flagship has received the source code and can be downloaded using Over-the-Air update.
The Galaxy S2 will finally enjoy the Jellybean update waited for so long. The update will include the favorite TouchWiz skin. The source code can also be used by developers to do fun and amazing design of new ROMs for the device. The source code is available via the Samsung Open Source Release Center for developers and for users. The ROM which will make the device default is going to be released soon.
The new kernels are GT-I9100 JB Opensource.zip for GT-I9100 and GT-I9100M BMC JB Opensource.zip for GT-I9100M, which both can be found from Samsung Open Source Release Center. For modders, it is time to make new ROMs to play with. For users, just be a little more patient.
Back in January 2013, a Jellybean 4.1.2 update for Galaxy S2 has been released with enhancements including:
- Project Butter for smooth performance and stability
- Same user interface that can be found from Galaxy S3 and Galaxy Note 2 with the update's full revamp
- TouchWiz Nature UX
- S Cloud services from Samsung
- Improvements for camera features
- Another lockscreen has been added with many customization options
- Direct Call, Smart Stay, and Pop-up Play has been added as well
- More new widgets from Galaxy S3 is also included
- Two new homescreen modes
- New notifications bar with more Notification Toggles to play with
- Google Now is also now a part of Galaxy S2 with this update
The Over-the-Air update is seen inside the Settings > About Phone and requires a stable Internet connection such as Wi-Fi for download. Make sure that you have backed up contacts, SMS, multimedia and data files to perform restoration just in case something goes wrong. Another way to determine an update is always plug your devices to the computer with Samsung Kies open.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Samsung SM-A500 (aka Wallet-Friendly Galaxy Alpha) Clears TENAA Revealing Images And Specs
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Amazon Announces Kindle Fire HD 6, Kindle Fire HD 7 Tablets; Official Release Date Is Oct 2
- Scotland Voted Against Independence, Early Results Indicate