Root Galaxy S3 I9305 on Android 4.1.2 XXBMA4 Jelly Bean Official Firmware [GUIDE]
By Vinod Yalburgi | February 16, 2013 10:34 PM EST
Samsung released its latest Jelly Bean firmware, Android 4.1.2 XXBMA4, for Galaxy S3 I9305 users just a little while ago and now root installation is also available with due credit to the industrious Android developers. Galaxy S3 users should note that the rooting method used in this guide makes use of ODIN flash tool rather than the traditional ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery.
NOTE: Rooting is essential to regain full system access to the device and be able to install third-party root-based apps, custom ROMs and system tweaks. Rooting the device will void its warranty. However, you may restore the hardware warranty by just reinstalling the official firmware for the device.
Key Points to Note
- XXBMA4 official firmware and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the Galaxy S3 I9305 model only and will not be incompatible with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up your important data and settings on the phone (including bookmarks, contacts, SMS, MMS, APNs and other internet settings)
- Make sure that your phone has at least 80 percent battery power to avoid unexpected device shutdown during root installation.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for Galaxy S3 on your computer (download USB drivers).
- The installation guide makes use of ODIN flash tool for Windows operating system (OS), while Linux (Ubuntu) and Mac OS users should use cross platform tools such as Heimdall to flash/install this firmware.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and IBTimes UK will not be held liable if you damage or brick your device during or after root installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Root Galaxy S3 I9305 on Android 4.1.2 XXBMA4 Jelly Bean Official Firmware
1. Extract the downloaded CF-Auto-Root zip file to obtain a .tar.md5 file within it.
2. Extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
3. Switch off the phone and wait for vibration (about 5 to 6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown.
4. Boot the Galaxy S3 phone in Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home buttons together while simultaneously tapping the Power button. When a "Warning!" message appears on screen, tap Volume Up button to enter Download Mode.
5. Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe (check Step 2) as an Administrator, as Admin privileges are required to complete the root installation process.
6. Connect your Galaxy S3 to the computer with the USB cable. A message reading "Added!!" will appear in Odin's message box at the bottom left of the screen. If the message fails to appear, just try another USB port (preferably the one at the back of your computer). If all else fails, then just reinstall the USB drivers for your phone on computer. When you receive the "Added!!" message in Odin, you are all set to proceed to next step. Now, the ID: COM port with a number turns Yellow if you successfully added your device.
7. Choose the following files in Odin using respective buttons:
- Click the PDA Button, and choose CF-Auto-Root-m3-m3zh-gti9305.tar.md5.
8. In Odin, ensure that Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options are enabled.
9. Verify that everything in the last two steps are done correctly. Then hit the START button to begin the root flashing process.
10. After the root installation is complete, the phone will reboot automatically and a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now, unplug the USB cable to disconnect your device from computer.
Your Galaxy S3 I9305 is now rooted on the latest Android 4.1.2 I9305XXBMB2 Jelly Bean firmware. You can now install apps that require root access.
Also, check out our step-by-step guide: Galaxy S3 I9305 Gets Official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Update with XXBMA4 OTA Firmware
[Source: Android Jinn]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance