Galaxy S3 I9305 Gets Official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Update with XXBMA4 OTA Firmware [How to Install]
By Vinod Yalburgi | February 16, 2013 9:37 PM EST
Samsung recently released its latest Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Over-The-Air (OTA) firmware for 'Three' subscribers of Galaxy S3 I9305 in Ireland. The new OTA update is also available for download over Samsung KIES, as well as through manual use of this guide. Galaxy S3 users in the UK and select European countries can now update their device to the latest Jelly Bean firmware using the manual method given below. The latest XXBMA4 official firmware does not include any major feature upgrades, but brings a few notable bug-fixes as part of the regular maintenance update.
NOTE: Installation of this OTA firmware requires the use of ODIN flash tool, as it is incompatible with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery.
Android 4.1.2 XXBMA4 OTA Firmware Details:
Key Points to Note
- XXBMA4 official firmware and the instructions given in this guide are applicable to the Galaxy S3 I9305 model only and will not be incompatible with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Back up your important data and settings on the phone (including bookmarks, contacts, SMS, MMS, APNs and other internet settings)
- Make sure that your phone has at least 80 percent battery power to avoid unexpected device shutdown during firmware installation.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for Galaxy S3 on your computer (download USB drivers).
- The installation guide makes use of ODIN flash tool for Windows operating system (OS), while Linux (Ubuntu) and Mac OS users should use cross platform tools such as Heimdall to flash/install this firmware.
- You will lose access to custom recovery tools (CWM or TWRP recovery) and custom ROMs soon after flashing the official firmware. Also, root access to the device will be lost once the firmware is installed.
- If the "MD5 hash value is invalid" error message appears in Odin message box then you need to re-download the firmware.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and IBTimes UK will not be held liable if you damage or brick your device during or after firmware installation. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Update Galaxy S3 I9305 to Android 4.1.2 XXBMA4 Jelly Bean Official Firmware
1. Extract XXBMA4 official firmware zip file that you downloaded earlier to get a .tar file and some other files.
2. Extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
3. Switch off the smartphone and wait for vibration (about 5 to 6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown.
4. Boot Galaxy S3 in Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power button until Samsung Galaxy logo appears on screen. Wait for a few seconds and your phone will enter Download Mode.
5. Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe (check Step 2) as an Administrator, since Admin privileges are required to complete the firmware flashing process.
6. Connect your phone to the computer with original USB cable. A message reading "Added!!" will appear in Odin's message box at the bottom left of the screen. If the message fails to appear, then just try another USB port (preferably the one at the back of your computer). If all else fails to work then just reinstall the USB drivers for your phone on computer. When the successful "Added!!" message pops-up in Odin, just proceed to the next step. Now, the ID: COM port with a number turns Yellow if you successfully added your device.
7. Choose the following files from I9305XXBMA4 folder [check Step 1] in Odin using respective buttons:
- Click the PDA Button, and choose the .tar file named 'Code'.
- Tap the Phone Button, and choose file named 'Modem' (ignore it if there is no such file)
- Hit the CSC Button, and choose the file named 'CSC' (ignore it if such file is missing)
- Click the PIT Button, and choose the .pit file. Use the file only if it is obtained while extracting in step 1 above, otherwise ignore it.
8. In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options by selecting checkboxes. Also, ensure that Re-Partition option is selected, only if you are using a .pit file in previous step.
9. Verify that everything in Step 7 and Step 8 are done correctly before proceeding. Then hit the Start button to begin the firmware flashing process.
10. After the firmware flashing completes, the phone will reboot automatically and a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now, just unplug the USB cable to disconnect your device from the computer.
Your Galaxy S3 I9305 is now running Android 4.1.2 I9305XXBMA4 Jelly Bean official firmware. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware installed.
- If the phone gets stuck at boot animation (Samsung Logo) after Step 10 and go to Recovery mode (press and hold Volume Up, Homeand Power buttons together). Then perform Wipe data/Factory Reset and Wipe Cache Partition task before choosing Reboot System Nowfunction.
- In recovery mode use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option. Please note that performing wiping task will erase data on the device's internal memory and not external SD card.
Also, check out our step-by-step guide to Root Galaxy S3 I9305 on Android 4.1.2 XXBMA4 Jelly Bean Official Firmware.
[Source: Android Jinn]
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports