North Korea 'Gearing Up' for Another Nuclear Test
By Vasudevan Sridharan | February 16, 2013 8:43 PM EST
North Korea is reportedly preparing to conduct yet another nuclear test, just days after its third test provoked an international outcry. Hectic activity is believed to have been observed in and around tunnels at the test site.
Only hours ahead of the report in a South Korean daily, a senior source who has "direct knowledge" of the matter told Reuters that the North has informed its ally China about its plans.
"It's all ready. A fourth and fifth nuclear test and a rocket launch could be conducted soon, possibly this year," said the source, who has access in both Beijing and Pyongyang.
A report from the South Korean capital Seoul lends credence to these moves.
Out of the three tunnels at the Punggye-ri nuclear test site, "North Korea is showing activity near tunnel No 2 and No 3 at the nuclear test site. Particularly, there is increased activity near the No 3 tunnel," an official told the Korea Joongang Daily on condition of anonymity.
"Recently, some vehicles have been busy at the site carrying earth, apparently to fill in the underground tunnel. Some luxury SUVs and shuttle buses have also visited the No 3 tunnel recently. These movements are similar to those seen in the final stages of preparing for the third nuclear test at tunnel No 2," the unnamed official told the South Korean daily.
Reports suggest that the country has almost completed preparations for a fresh nuclear test and all that is needed is the approval of North's leader Kim Jong-un.
However, other reports dismiss the possibility of the North conducting further tests in the immediate future.
Soon after the "safe and perfect" third nuclear test, Pyongyang had warned that it would take more such steps, defying international condemnation.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying