Home Buying '£1,440 Cheaper' than Renting - Halifax
By Jerin Mathew | February 16, 2013 8:00 PM EST
Buying a house in the UK is more financially attractive than renting as house prices continue to fall, according to research from Halifax.
The cost of buying a home in Britain has become £1,440 ($2,234, €1,671) per year, or £120 a month, cheaper than renting, thanks to price drops and record-low interest rates. The average monthly costs associated with buying a three-bedroom house was £621 in December compared with a typical monthly rent of £741 on a similar property, claimed the survey.
In December 2011, buying was £99 a month cheaper than renting, while buying a home was £217 a month more expensive than renting in December 2008.
Further, the gap between the cost of owning a home and renting a property is widening year-on-year, according to the research.
The rental sector has been experiencing increased demand and rising prices as more prospective home buyers preferred renting due to the tight deposit requirements by lenders.
Buying costs have declined by 34 percent over the past four years, while average monthly rents rose by 14 percent, according to the Halifax study.
"Concerns over job security and raising a deposit are the main obstacles to people buying their own home. However, it is worth noting that once home buyers are on the first rung of the ladder, their monthly costs are notably lower," said Martin Ellis, housing economist at Halifax.
The recent declines in house prices and record-low interest rates as a result of the Bank of England's Funding for Lending Scheme are helping first-time buyers to get on to the property ladder.
In London, buying is most affordable compared with renting, with a monthly difference of £193. In Yorkshire and the Humber buying is just £1 a month cheaper than renting, Halifax said.
On 15 February, a survey by LSL Property Services found that home rental costs in the UK declined in January for the third straight month as the increased availability of mortgages eased competition in the sector.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Air Canada Expands Vancouver Boeing 787 Dreamliners To Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo-Narita Routes
- Canada Consumer Alert: Tim Hortons Prices Of Coffee, Sandwiches To Go Up Effective Nov 26
- Doomsday Seed Vault Safeguards More Marijuana Seeds
- Travel Alert: Malaysia’s AirAsia Cuts Number Of Australian Flights
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports