Sony PlayStation 4 to Stream PS3 Games [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 16, 2013 7:38 PM EST
Sony's much-anticipated PlayStation 4 will be able to stream PlayStation 3 games over the Internet, according to the Wall Street Journal (WSJ).
In a report, WSJ confirmed the next-generation console will "allow users to play games delivered over the internet". The report quoted people close to Sony's plans, saying: "The streaming service is designed to use current PlayStation 3 titles on the new console; the new device is also expected to play new games stored on optical discs."
The report also mentioned other enhancements meant to "bolster its [the console's] position in the market" but it did not reveal details.
In June, Sony acquired Gaikai, a games-streaming company, for $380m (approximately £244m). Gaikai specialises in transferring compressed folders of games in real time. However, the publication cited sources claiming that Sony will not be using Gaikai technology to make new games available. Instead, new games for the PS4 will be stored on optical discs.
Destructoid revealed pictures of the new prototype PS4 controller, which reveals the new controller will have touchpad technology, along with a host of other changes such as motion-tracking LEDs and a re-designed D-pad. Since then, IGN has published the photographs as well, claiming confirmation from a "trusted source". However, as with Destructoid's first report, we should warn readers these are preliminary images and the controller may change by time of launch.
All should be revealed on 20 February in New York City, when Sony is expected to make an announcement about the PlayStation 4. Rumoured specifications of the latest PlayStation dev kit reveal the system will have 8GB of system memory, 2.2GB of video memory, an AMD Bulldozer eight-core processor and an AMD R10XX GPU.
Meanwhile, check out this video of the PlayStation Meeting 2013
[Video Courtesy: YouTube/sonyplaystation]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge and Note 4 Designer Secrets: Behind The Materials, Edge Screen And S Pen
- Android 5.0 Lollipop For Sony Xperia Z Devices Arriving By 2015; Z Ultra GPE Update Confirmed In 2014
- 'The Sims 4' Mac Version: Bugs, Missing Elements Players Must Be Prepared Of
- 'Destiny' vs. 'Titanfall': New Legendary Gears Spotted And Update 8 Features Detailed
- 'World Of Warcraft' ‘The Iron Tide' 6.0.2 Patch Hotfixes Update Including New Resolved Issues Regarding Scenarios, Raids, Classes, Battlegrounds And Arenas
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions