Sony PlayStation 4 to Stream PS3 Games [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 16, 2013 7:38 PM EST
Sony's much-anticipated PlayStation 4 will be able to stream PlayStation 3 games over the Internet, according to the Wall Street Journal (WSJ).
In a report, WSJ confirmed the next-generation console will "allow users to play games delivered over the internet". The report quoted people close to Sony's plans, saying: "The streaming service is designed to use current PlayStation 3 titles on the new console; the new device is also expected to play new games stored on optical discs."
The report also mentioned other enhancements meant to "bolster its [the console's] position in the market" but it did not reveal details.
In June, Sony acquired Gaikai, a games-streaming company, for $380m (approximately £244m). Gaikai specialises in transferring compressed folders of games in real time. However, the publication cited sources claiming that Sony will not be using Gaikai technology to make new games available. Instead, new games for the PS4 will be stored on optical discs.
Destructoid revealed pictures of the new prototype PS4 controller, which reveals the new controller will have touchpad technology, along with a host of other changes such as motion-tracking LEDs and a re-designed D-pad. Since then, IGN has published the photographs as well, claiming confirmation from a "trusted source". However, as with Destructoid's first report, we should warn readers these are preliminary images and the controller may change by time of launch.
All should be revealed on 20 February in New York City, when Sony is expected to make an announcement about the PlayStation 4. Rumoured specifications of the latest PlayStation dev kit reveal the system will have 8GB of system memory, 2.2GB of video memory, an AMD Bulldozer eight-core processor and an AMD R10XX GPU.
Meanwhile, check out this video of the PlayStation Meeting 2013
[Video Courtesy: YouTube/sonyplaystation]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Android L 5.0 Eligible And Ineligible Devices: Nexus Gadgets, Google Play Edition And Android One
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Confirmed With Demo, More Info Revealed
- Know More About ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Team Aqua And Magma, Pokemon Bank and Global Link
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition': Three Classes Confirmed—Warrior, Mage And Rogue Abilities Exposed
- ‘World Of Warcraft’ Extends The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff Until The ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Pre-Patch 6.0.2 Release After Updating The 6.0.2 Public Test Realm Patch Notes [WATCH VIDEO]
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Canadian IS Jihadist Who Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers