How Social Media Changes The Way We Marry
By Vijaykumar Meti | February 16, 2013 7:26 PM EST
In this modern age, it can be taken quite literally that, rather than lovers giving each other paper cards, they are more likely to express their love electronically using e-mail, texts and of course, the growing social media.
Wedding clothing retailer David's Bridal, the United States' largest bridal retailer, has recently studied some cases by surveying to-be-brides.
According to the findings, about 68 percent of brides think it is fine to announce their engagement using social media such as Facebook, 67 percent thought they could do so via e-mail and 59 percent, through text message. Other social networking sites like Twitter and Instagram don't seem to be 'cool' for them, although about 60 percent of respondents thought of using those social media sites as well.
Interestingly, only 21 percent of brides plan to connect social networking sites on their wedding day and keep everyone up to date. One-third of the respondents plan to log on to social media during their honeymoons, while nearly half of them want to share its photos online.
Nearly 5 percent brides update their Facebook relationship status within minutes of accepting the weeding proposal, but 18 percent update within hours and other 15 percent update the day after the weeding proposal. More than one third of brides update their Facebook relationship status the day after weeding.
Pinterest, the content sharing service that allows users to 'pin' (share) images, videos and other contents to their pinboard, also appears to be quite popular among to-be-brides with about 42 percent of respondents pinning photos on their pinboard, while 48 percent using such board to plan their weeding events.
Paper invitations are still the major tool for inviting while only 15 percent of respondents feel it was okay to go paperless. Around 9 percent of respondents live-streamed their wedding but about 30 percent were open to the idea.
It is clear that technology has changed the way we love. There are myriad ways in which we express ourselves, form online dating to video calling to social media wedding.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report