Sony Prepares for PlayStation 4 Announcement [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 16, 2013 7:21 PM EST
Sony has updated the PlayStation Meeting 2013 Web site with a new video relating the gaming console's history since its launch in 1995. The video is a teaser in the run-up to a media event scheduled for 20 February, where the Japanese giants are widely expected to unveil the PlayStation 4.
The video, which is a little over two minutes long, is titled PlayStation Evolution and starts with the PlayStation's launch in 1995 and the subsequent launch of the DualShock controller in 1997. It also explains how the PlayStation became such a huge success for gamers all across the world.
Gaming titles mentioned in the clip include WipEout, Crash Bandicoot and Gran Turismo... all of which were smash hits when they were released and remain gaming classics.
Sid Shuman, the social media manager for Sony, said: "[The] PlayStation's arrival to the world of gaming signalled a change in the status quo and a sign of things to come. The original PlayStation system emerged in 1994 in Japan as a dark horse challenger, a seemingly outgunned newcomer entering a crowded field dominated by legends of the 16-bit era."
Check out the PlayStation video:
Meanwhile, photographs of what is believed to be a prototype PlayStation 4 controller have emerged. Destructoid, the photograph's source, confirmed the image was not that of the final product and details could change.
The new controller has borrowed the touchpad concept from the PlayStation Vita and has also incorporated motion-tracking LED and a re-developed D-pad. The specifications for the controller seem to have evolved as well - the Share button on the controller has been removed from the prototype.
An earlier report by TechRadar claims Sony's new console will be 50 percent more powerful than Microsoft's next-gen console, rumoured to be the Xbox 720.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Update Roundup: HTC, Google, LG, Motorola, Xolo, OnePlus, Samsung And Sony Upgrade Plans
- Sony Teases PS4 2.0 System Software Update As Sony Xperia Z2 And Z2 Tablet Get Remote Play
- ‘GTA V’ 1.18 Update: Heists, Zombies, Hydra Jets DLC Seemingly Possible
- 'Destiny' Third Subclass Weapon Upgrades: Super And Grenade Modifications Leaked [Video]
- ‘Destiny’ ‘The Dark Below’ DLC: XP Boosters, New Armours Revealed, Atheon Fixes
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch