Sony Prepares for PlayStation 4 Announcement [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 16, 2013 7:21 PM EST
Sony has updated the PlayStation Meeting 2013 Web site with a new video relating the gaming console's history since its launch in 1995. The video is a teaser in the run-up to a media event scheduled for 20 February, where the Japanese giants are widely expected to unveil the PlayStation 4.
The video, which is a little over two minutes long, is titled PlayStation Evolution and starts with the PlayStation's launch in 1995 and the subsequent launch of the DualShock controller in 1997. It also explains how the PlayStation became such a huge success for gamers all across the world.
Gaming titles mentioned in the clip include WipEout, Crash Bandicoot and Gran Turismo... all of which were smash hits when they were released and remain gaming classics.
Sid Shuman, the social media manager for Sony, said: "[The] PlayStation's arrival to the world of gaming signalled a change in the status quo and a sign of things to come. The original PlayStation system emerged in 1994 in Japan as a dark horse challenger, a seemingly outgunned newcomer entering a crowded field dominated by legends of the 16-bit era."
Check out the PlayStation video:
Meanwhile, photographs of what is believed to be a prototype PlayStation 4 controller have emerged. Destructoid, the photograph's source, confirmed the image was not that of the final product and details could change.
The new controller has borrowed the touchpad concept from the PlayStation Vita and has also incorporated motion-tracking LED and a re-developed D-pad. The specifications for the controller seem to have evolved as well - the Share button on the controller has been removed from the prototype.
An earlier report by TechRadar claims Sony's new console will be 50 percent more powerful than Microsoft's next-gen console, rumoured to be the Xbox 720.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'Dragon Age Keep' Guide: How To Use And Set Up Background Story For 'Dragon Age Inquisition'
- Google Nexus 6 Sold-Out Inventory: Android 5.0, Motorola-Nexus Branding, Network Carriers, Competitive Price
- ‘Destiny': Apocalypse-Themed Sparrows, Pumpkin Head Weapons As Contents For Halloween
- The Xperia Z3: A Review On Sony’s New Flagship
- Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Developer Edition Now Available At $699.99, Without Instalment Plan Options
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery