Sony Prepares for PlayStation 4 Announcement [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 16, 2013 7:21 PM EST
Sony has updated the PlayStation Meeting 2013 Web site with a new video relating the gaming console's history since its launch in 1995. The video is a teaser in the run-up to a media event scheduled for 20 February, where the Japanese giants are widely expected to unveil the PlayStation 4.
The video, which is a little over two minutes long, is titled PlayStation Evolution and starts with the PlayStation's launch in 1995 and the subsequent launch of the DualShock controller in 1997. It also explains how the PlayStation became such a huge success for gamers all across the world.
Gaming titles mentioned in the clip include WipEout, Crash Bandicoot and Gran Turismo... all of which were smash hits when they were released and remain gaming classics.
Sid Shuman, the social media manager for Sony, said: "[The] PlayStation's arrival to the world of gaming signalled a change in the status quo and a sign of things to come. The original PlayStation system emerged in 1994 in Japan as a dark horse challenger, a seemingly outgunned newcomer entering a crowded field dominated by legends of the 16-bit era."
Check out the PlayStation video:
Meanwhile, photographs of what is believed to be a prototype PlayStation 4 controller have emerged. Destructoid, the photograph's source, confirmed the image was not that of the final product and details could change.
The new controller has borrowed the touchpad concept from the PlayStation Vita and has also incorporated motion-tracking LED and a re-developed D-pad. The specifications for the controller seem to have evolved as well - the Share button on the controller has been removed from the prototype.
An earlier report by TechRadar claims Sony's new console will be 50 percent more powerful than Microsoft's next-gen console, rumoured to be the Xbox 720.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Hits Battle Frontier Plus New Discoveries
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Essential Tips For Nexus 6: Camera And Entertainment, Notifications And Privacy, Battery
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition' Starter Tips And Tricks: Character Creation, Combat Modes, Party, Looting, War Table
- Vodafone Australia Software Update Weekly Wrap For Nov. 20: Blackberry, HTC, Huawei, Samsung And Sony
- HTC One M9: Speculations on Release Date, Specs And Features
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef