Sony Prepares for PlayStation 4 Announcement [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 16, 2013 7:21 PM EST
Sony has updated the PlayStation Meeting 2013 Web site with a new video relating the gaming console's history since its launch in 1995. The video is a teaser in the run-up to a media event scheduled for 20 February, where the Japanese giants are widely expected to unveil the PlayStation 4.
The video, which is a little over two minutes long, is titled PlayStation Evolution and starts with the PlayStation's launch in 1995 and the subsequent launch of the DualShock controller in 1997. It also explains how the PlayStation became such a huge success for gamers all across the world.
Gaming titles mentioned in the clip include WipEout, Crash Bandicoot and Gran Turismo... all of which were smash hits when they were released and remain gaming classics.
Sid Shuman, the social media manager for Sony, said: "[The] PlayStation's arrival to the world of gaming signalled a change in the status quo and a sign of things to come. The original PlayStation system emerged in 1994 in Japan as a dark horse challenger, a seemingly outgunned newcomer entering a crowded field dominated by legends of the 16-bit era."
Check out the PlayStation video:
Meanwhile, photographs of what is believed to be a prototype PlayStation 4 controller have emerged. Destructoid, the photograph's source, confirmed the image was not that of the final product and details could change.
The new controller has borrowed the touchpad concept from the PlayStation Vita and has also incorporated motion-tracking LED and a re-developed D-pad. The specifications for the controller seem to have evolved as well - the Share button on the controller has been removed from the prototype.
An earlier report by TechRadar claims Sony's new console will be 50 percent more powerful than Microsoft's next-gen console, rumoured to be the Xbox 720.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- PS4 vs. Xbox One Games: The Last of Us Remastered Photo Mode Leaked Shots; Halo: Master Chief Collection Detailed
- Before Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire: TwitchPlaysPokemon Goes X and Y, More Events and More Gym Leader Info
- Dragon Age 3 Inquisition Romance: Cassandra Pentaghast, Dorian, Cullen, Sera, Iron Bull and Josephine Montilyet
- The SIMS 4 Official System Requirements Reveal Low Spec Demands; Release Date on September 2
- PS4 News: 2 Possible Sets of PS Plus Games for August 2014 Leaked and Additional Features for PS4
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal