Sony Prepares for PlayStation 4 Announcement [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 16, 2013 7:21 PM EST
Sony has updated the PlayStation Meeting 2013 Web site with a new video relating the gaming console's history since its launch in 1995. The video is a teaser in the run-up to a media event scheduled for 20 February, where the Japanese giants are widely expected to unveil the PlayStation 4.
The video, which is a little over two minutes long, is titled PlayStation Evolution and starts with the PlayStation's launch in 1995 and the subsequent launch of the DualShock controller in 1997. It also explains how the PlayStation became such a huge success for gamers all across the world.
Gaming titles mentioned in the clip include WipEout, Crash Bandicoot and Gran Turismo... all of which were smash hits when they were released and remain gaming classics.
Sid Shuman, the social media manager for Sony, said: "[The] PlayStation's arrival to the world of gaming signalled a change in the status quo and a sign of things to come. The original PlayStation system emerged in 1994 in Japan as a dark horse challenger, a seemingly outgunned newcomer entering a crowded field dominated by legends of the 16-bit era."
Check out the PlayStation video:
Meanwhile, photographs of what is believed to be a prototype PlayStation 4 controller have emerged. Destructoid, the photograph's source, confirmed the image was not that of the final product and details could change.
The new controller has borrowed the touchpad concept from the PlayStation Vita and has also incorporated motion-tracking LED and a re-developed D-pad. The specifications for the controller seem to have evolved as well - the Share button on the controller has been removed from the prototype.
An earlier report by TechRadar claims Sony's new console will be 50 percent more powerful than Microsoft's next-gen console, rumoured to be the Xbox 720.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- More ‘FIFA 15’ Issues Found in Companion App And Luis Suarez Ban; A PS4 Physical Disc Bundle Spotted
- Get Invite Codes to Ello the Social Networking Site That Is Viral On the Internet
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Demo Distribution Method For Australia Revealed, More Info Coming
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ And ‘Rogue’: New Trailer Shows Off Customisation As Rogue PC Version Gets Spotted In UPlay
- 'Super Smash Bros' For Nintendo 3DS XL Can Hamper Gaming Experience Due To More Resistant Circle Pad
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate