China Retail Sales up 15% During Lunar New Year Festival Week
By Jerin Mathew | February 16, 2013 6:25 PM EST
Sales during the holiday period that runs from 9-15 February rose to 539 billion yuan (£56bn, $86.5bn), said China's Ministry of Commerce.
Lunar New Year is the biggest festival in China and consumer spending typically skyrockets during the period as Chinese people travel across the country to celebrate the season with their families.
The sales of jewellery and food items have increased by 38.1 percent and 9.8 percent respectively. Beverages recorded an 11.2 percent rise and sales of clothes were up by 6.3 percent.
"Across the country, products were abundant, supplies were sufficient and sales lively," the ministry said.
Nevertheless, this year's sales growth was lower than the previous year when the country logged a 16.2 percent increase in retail sales. Sales at luxurious restaurants declined due to the nation-wide campaign against extravagance, state news agency Xinhua reported.
The strong retail figures during the festival period underline the country's ongoing economic recovery. In the fourth quarter of 2012, China's GDP growth accelerated to 7.9 percent, following seven consecutive quarters of weakening growth.
Further official statistics also backed the growth trajectory in the country. Trade surplus rose by 7.7 percent year-on-year to $29.2bn in January, while inflation slowed to 2.0 percent in the month from 2.5 percent in December, setting ground for further monetary easing by the central bank to spur growth.
The World Bank forecasts the world's second-largest economy to grow by 8.4 percent in 2013. That compares to the full-year 2012 growth rate of 7.8 percent, which is the slowest pace in 13 years, as China experienced weakness at home and in key overseas markets.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- China Crackdown Against Christianity: Removes Church Cross, Cites Building Code Violation
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: US CDC Issues Travel Advisory; Virus 'Dreadful and Merciless'
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8