China Retail Sales up 15% During Lunar New Year Festival Week
By Jerin Mathew | February 16, 2013 6:25 PM EST
Sales during the holiday period that runs from 9-15 February rose to 539 billion yuan (£56bn, $86.5bn), said China's Ministry of Commerce.
Lunar New Year is the biggest festival in China and consumer spending typically skyrockets during the period as Chinese people travel across the country to celebrate the season with their families.
The sales of jewellery and food items have increased by 38.1 percent and 9.8 percent respectively. Beverages recorded an 11.2 percent rise and sales of clothes were up by 6.3 percent.
"Across the country, products were abundant, supplies were sufficient and sales lively," the ministry said.
Nevertheless, this year's sales growth was lower than the previous year when the country logged a 16.2 percent increase in retail sales. Sales at luxurious restaurants declined due to the nation-wide campaign against extravagance, state news agency Xinhua reported.
The strong retail figures during the festival period underline the country's ongoing economic recovery. In the fourth quarter of 2012, China's GDP growth accelerated to 7.9 percent, following seven consecutive quarters of weakening growth.
Further official statistics also backed the growth trajectory in the country. Trade surplus rose by 7.7 percent year-on-year to $29.2bn in January, while inflation slowed to 2.0 percent in the month from 2.5 percent in December, setting ground for further monetary easing by the central bank to spur growth.
The World Bank forecasts the world's second-largest economy to grow by 8.4 percent in 2013. That compares to the full-year 2012 growth rate of 7.8 percent, which is the slowest pace in 13 years, as China experienced weakness at home and in key overseas markets.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Global Air Travel Alert: Air France Pilots Stage Labour Strike
- West Africa Ebola Epidemic To Last 12-18 Months More
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- Air France Pilots’ Strike: Only 40% of Scheduled Wednesday Flights Will Operate
- Venezuelans Using Made-in-China Silicones Because Of Breast Implant Shortage
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date