China Retail Sales up 15% During Lunar New Year Festival Week
By Jerin Mathew | February 16, 2013 6:25 PM EST
Sales during the holiday period that runs from 9-15 February rose to 539 billion yuan (£56bn, $86.5bn), said China's Ministry of Commerce.
Lunar New Year is the biggest festival in China and consumer spending typically skyrockets during the period as Chinese people travel across the country to celebrate the season with their families.
The sales of jewellery and food items have increased by 38.1 percent and 9.8 percent respectively. Beverages recorded an 11.2 percent rise and sales of clothes were up by 6.3 percent.
"Across the country, products were abundant, supplies were sufficient and sales lively," the ministry said.
Nevertheless, this year's sales growth was lower than the previous year when the country logged a 16.2 percent increase in retail sales. Sales at luxurious restaurants declined due to the nation-wide campaign against extravagance, state news agency Xinhua reported.
The strong retail figures during the festival period underline the country's ongoing economic recovery. In the fourth quarter of 2012, China's GDP growth accelerated to 7.9 percent, following seven consecutive quarters of weakening growth.
Further official statistics also backed the growth trajectory in the country. Trade surplus rose by 7.7 percent year-on-year to $29.2bn in January, while inflation slowed to 2.0 percent in the month from 2.5 percent in December, setting ground for further monetary easing by the central bank to spur growth.
The World Bank forecasts the world's second-largest economy to grow by 8.4 percent in 2013. That compares to the full-year 2012 growth rate of 7.8 percent, which is the slowest pace in 13 years, as China experienced weakness at home and in key overseas markets.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Russia Warns Citizens – Take Selfies, Have Lice
- The Cost Of Getting Infected With Ebola
- Ebola Divides The US: More States Begin Applying Stricter Guidelines Than What CDC Imposed
- Canadian House Owners Preferring To Live In Core City Than In Suburbs: Study
- FIFA May Keep Russia and Ukraine Apart in World Cup 2018
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family