Micromax A116 Canvas HD Beats Expectations; Sells 9000 Units in 24 Hours
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 16, 2013 5:08 PM EST
Micromax's first quad-core smartphone, A116 Canvas HD which made its debut on Valentine's Day, has sold 9000 units of phones in less than 24 hours, said the company.
The A116 Canvas HD, which was available through the company website and Snapdeal.com, reportedly started on a high note and the sales figures were above the expectations of the company and the retailers. According to the company, the first lot of the smartphone has been sold out within 15 minutes of its launch and the second batch of 300 units was also sold in the morning at 9AM within 15 minutes. It also cited that the booking for the smartphone has been going at a high pace, accounting the current booking rate 25 units per minute.
"The response from our consumers has been phenomenal and the demand has been increasing every passing minute. After the unprecedented success of the Canvas 2, we are overwhelmed with the customer response for Canvas HD. This is the first time our online sales partners have ever witnessed a digital queue in cyberspace to such an extent for any product, to the traditional cue one normally sees. The data also shows that 60% of the orders received online have come from the metros," said Shubhodip Pal, CMO Micromax told NDTV Gadget.
The handset, which is available at ₹13,990, features a screen of 5-inch HD IPS with a resolution of 1280x720 and 16.7 million color depths. It is powered by MediaTek's MT6589 1.2 GHz quad-core processor and runs on Android Jelly Bean 4.1 operating system. Other features and specifications include a 2000mAh battery, 8-megapixel rear camera with LED flash, 1GB RAM and 4GB internal storage which is expandable up to 32GB via micro SD support. Its connectivity features include 3G, WIFI, Bluetooth and GPS/A-GPS.
"This product exceeded our expectations by a huge margin. We took this live at midnight and we were completely surprised to see all 500 units which we expected to sell in the entire day sold out within 15 minutes of launch. Our call volume shot through the roof with enquiries and we have replenished inventory levels to cater to more sales. This kind of pace of sales beats our previous records," Tony Navin, vice president, Business Development, Snapdeal said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time