No Presidential Text For Low-Profile Ligety
February 16, 2013 2:36 PM EST
Ted Ligety might not have received a message from President Barack Obama after completing his hat-trick of skiing world titles on Friday, but it was still an astonishing achievement.
An unassuming figure in a sport which struggles for airtime outside a few Alpine nations, the American was just happy to get a few texts from his closest friends.
"Barack didn't text me," joked Ligety after it was pointed out that Aksel Lund Svindal receives congratulatory messages from the King of Norway when he wins major titles.
"I had a few emails from my friends... my brother wasn't here but I think he would have come if he had known it would have been like this."
Ligety, who also won the super-G and super combined events over the past two weeks, became the first male skier for 45 years to win three titles at the same world championships when he sealed victory in Friday's giant slalom.
Some experts argue it was more difficult in the past to complete a treble when there were only three disciplines instead of five nowadays.
However, Sasha Rearick, coach of the United States men's skiing team, said the opposite was true.
"No one has done this in the modern era because of the development of the World Cup," he said, referring to the season-long circuit which involves weekly races in venues around Europe and North America.
"You have tremendous athletes, programs, national teams and company support pushing at a very high level.
"Over the last 30 years, specialists have developed in multiple events so to be able to win in three events has been impossible.
"When you think of the greats like Lasse Kjus, Kjetil Aamodt and Hermann Maier, and they haven't done it. It's an amazing, absolutely amazing achievement for Ted."
Ligety has been dominant in the giant slalom for several years, also winning the gold medal at the last world championships in 2011.
He was the World Cup champion in the category in 2008, 2010 and 2011 although he lost out to Marcel Hirscher last season.
He has been remarkably consistent in the discipline, having completed every World Cup giant slalom race he has competed in over the last four years.
The 28-year-old arrived in Schladming expecting to defend his giant slalom title but did not foresee any more golds, having never won a race in any other discipline apart from the combined gold medal at the Turin Winter Games in 2006.
"This week has been by far the best skiing in my life," he said. "It's been phenomenal to win three golds, especially in two events I haven't won before.
"It's far exceeded my expectations, it's been surreal. It's not something I set out to accomplish."
Even Ligety thought that a fourth gold in Sunday's slalom would be beyond him, however.
"I like to think I could get another but my expectations aren't that high," he said. "If I have two awesome runs and I get lucky, I have a chance but only if I get a little bit lucky."
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Michael Schumacher Rehabilitation Update: F1 Champion In-Home Health Care And Services Consist Of 15 Medical Staff
- Rafael Nadal’s Coach Reveals The Spanish Athlete Will Be Back On Court Soon
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet