Rainn Wilson Gets 'Carnival Poo Ship' Trending On Twitter In Carnival Triumph Renaming Effort
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 16, 2013 11:48 AM EST
In light of the ironically named Carnival Corp. (NYSE:CCL) cruise ship “Triumph,” which ran adrift in the Gulf of Mexico and left terrified passengers stranded for five days, actor Rainn Wilson decided to get the ball rolling on renaming the doomed vessel.
“The Office” actor was successful, using the Twitter hashtag #CarnivalPooShip. The hashtag went viral on the microblogging site Friday.
“Lets get some new names for Carnival cruise ship 'Triumph': "The F---l Flower?"#CarnivalPooShip,” the “Super” actor tweeted. By about 7:30 p.m. EST, the post had been retweeted 136 times and made a favorite by 93 Twitter users.
The Carnival cruise ship had no power while adrift, and conditions quickly deteriorated. Passengers said they were forced to defecate in buckets because toilets on the ship were overflowing. They were also without power and had limited food during the ordeal.
"It was horrible. Horrible," Triumph passenger Janie Esparza told reporters after the ship finally docked at the Port of Mobile in Alabama, according to CNN. "The bathroom facilities were horrible, and we could not flush toilets. No electricity and our rooms were in total darkness. Honestly, think that this ship should have ever sailed out."
Carnival CEO Gerry Cahill sympathized with Triumph passengers.
"We pride ourselves in providing our guests with a great vacation experience, and clearly we failed in this particular case," Cahill said.
That failure led to mocking of Carnival on Twitter, culminating with the hashtag #CarnivalPooShip becoming a trending topic.
“I'd rather go to church with Tom Cruise than ever take a cruise again. #CarnivalPooShip,” said New York magazine writer Jenna Marotta.
“The 11 year old inside of me kinda hearts that #CarnivalPooShip is trending,” said @BklynActiveMama.
“God this is funny! #CarnivalPooShip,” wrote @FCristalG256.
“#CarnivalPooShip Haha!! . This makes myself giggle,” said @ZNomaP574.
“Lol. How f'n funny..! #CarnivalPooShip,” added @ELavonnaC499.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29
- BlackBerry Passport Video Leak, Release Date, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate [Watch YouTube Clip] --Reports