Rainn Wilson Gets 'Carnival Poo Ship' Trending On Twitter In Carnival Triumph Renaming Effort
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 16, 2013 11:48 AM EST
In light of the ironically named Carnival Corp. (NYSE:CCL) cruise ship “Triumph,” which ran adrift in the Gulf of Mexico and left terrified passengers stranded for five days, actor Rainn Wilson decided to get the ball rolling on renaming the doomed vessel.
“The Office” actor was successful, using the Twitter hashtag #CarnivalPooShip. The hashtag went viral on the microblogging site Friday.
“Lets get some new names for Carnival cruise ship 'Triumph': "The F---l Flower?"#CarnivalPooShip,” the “Super” actor tweeted. By about 7:30 p.m. EST, the post had been retweeted 136 times and made a favorite by 93 Twitter users.
The Carnival cruise ship had no power while adrift, and conditions quickly deteriorated. Passengers said they were forced to defecate in buckets because toilets on the ship were overflowing. They were also without power and had limited food during the ordeal.
"It was horrible. Horrible," Triumph passenger Janie Esparza told reporters after the ship finally docked at the Port of Mobile in Alabama, according to CNN. "The bathroom facilities were horrible, and we could not flush toilets. No electricity and our rooms were in total darkness. Honestly, think that this ship should have ever sailed out."
Carnival CEO Gerry Cahill sympathized with Triumph passengers.
"We pride ourselves in providing our guests with a great vacation experience, and clearly we failed in this particular case," Cahill said.
That failure led to mocking of Carnival on Twitter, culminating with the hashtag #CarnivalPooShip becoming a trending topic.
“I'd rather go to church with Tom Cruise than ever take a cruise again. #CarnivalPooShip,” said New York magazine writer Jenna Marotta.
“The 11 year old inside of me kinda hearts that #CarnivalPooShip is trending,” said @BklynActiveMama.
“God this is funny! #CarnivalPooShip,” wrote @FCristalG256.
“#CarnivalPooShip Haha!! . This makes myself giggle,” said @ZNomaP574.
“Lol. How f'n funny..! #CarnivalPooShip,” added @ELavonnaC499.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- Galaxy Note 4 Release Date Ahead of iPhone 6 Sept 2014 Debut; Specced-Up but Remains Plastic-Wrapped – Reports