Lakers Trade Rumors: Dwight Howard's 3 Most Likely Destinations
February 16, 2013 7:03 AM EST
The NBA trade deadline is fast approaching with the arrival of All-Star Weekend.
Dwight Howard has been at the center of trade rumors because of his struggles with the Los Angeles Lakers. L.A. has spent almost the entire year under .500 and may not make the playoffs.
Howard’s stats have suffered, as well. His 16.3 points per game is the lowest since his second year in the league, and his rebounding average is the lowest it’s been since he was a rookie.
The Lakers brass has publicly stated that they intend to keep Howard. In a recent interview with Newsday, general manager Mitch Kupchak said the Howard will stay with the club for the rest of the season.
“We will not make a trade,” said Kupchak. “We will not trade Dwight Howard. We have no intention of making a trade. It’s unlikely that we’ll make any trade with any of our principal players. To make another change at this time of the year being behind the eight-ball like we are, I think that would just make it more difficult. The talent is there. We have to find our way.”
The health of owner Jerry Buss may also force the team to stand pat. Buss has been hospitalized, according to ESPN. The Los Angeles Times has reported that he has an undisclosed for of cancer.
Los Angeles wants to hold on to Howard and re-sign him in summer. At 25-29, though, L.A. may be realizing that they can’t win with this current roster.
If Howard were to be traded, here are the three most likely destinations for the All-Star:
The Hawks are the best potential trading partner for the Lakers because both clubs have star players that will be free agents in the summer.
Josh Smith will be looking to sign a maximum-salary contract in the offseason, but Atlanta might be wary of giving him that much money. They would almost certainly be willing to trade a package of Smith and Kyle Korver for Howard. Smith isn’t as good as Howard, but it’s the best deal L.A. would get.
The trade would also give both teams something that they need. Atlanta is reportedly looking for a center in return for Smith. With Nash at point guard, Kobe Bryant at shooting guard and Pau Gasol in the frontcourt, the 6-foot-9 Smith would fit perfectly in the Lakers starting lineup.
Atlanta would also take a chance on Howard because they have a reasonable shot of re-signing him. Howard is from Atlanta and might decide to stay with his hometown club.
The Rockets have been after Howard since he was playing for the Orlando Magic. They’ve been trying to save cap space to land him in the offseason, but would make a trade if the opportunity presented itself.
Houston wouldn’t be able to offer any superstars to Los Angeles. James Harden is their best player and they wouldn’t trade him for Howard. A package of Jeremy Lin, Omer Asik and draft picks might be the best they can do.
The Lakers wouldn’t be getting equal value for Howard, but would acquire two players that can help their team. Asik is one of the best defenders and rebounders in the game, and Lin would give the team a legitimate option at point guard if Nash were to get injured again.
Of all the teams that could end up with Howard, Dallas might be the center’s preferred destination. He would be able to play alongside another superstar in Dirk Nowitzki, and Marc Cuban has proven to be an owner that will do what it takes to win.
Unfortunately for the Mavericks, they don’t have many assets that would help the Lakers. O.J. Mayo is the club’s biggest trade piece, but Los Angeles is already set at shooting guard with Bryant.
Dallas would likely have to get a third team involved to get a deal done. Mayo is very cheap, for a player that is scoring 17.9 points per game. However, their best option of landing Howard is, probably, by waiting for free agency.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft