2013 World Press Photo Awards: First Prize Winners
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 16, 2013 5:47 AM EST
The first prize winners of the 2013 World Press Photo Awards have been announced.
In total, there were nine categories: Spot News, General News, Contemporary Issues, Daily Life, Sports Action, Sports Features, Observed Portrait, Staged Portrait and Nature. Each category, except for Sports Features, had first prize winners for both single photos and photo stories.
The World Press Photo of the Year award went to Swedish Photographer Paul Hansen, whose snapshot of a funeral march in Gaza also won first prize in the Spot News category. Here are the first prize winners for the single photos in each category, excluding Sports Features which only consists of photo stories.
1. World Press Photo of the Year, Spot News
Title: "Gaza Burial"
Photographer: Paul Hansen (Sweden)
Date: Nov. 20, 2012
2. General News, first prize
Photographer: Rodrigo Abd (Argentina)
Date: March 10, 2012
- Russia Boasts Nuclear Missile Trains; 400 Strategic Warheads In Place
- ISIS Militant Turns Match Maker: Seeks Chechen Wife For A Young Islamic Fighter In Kobani
- New Zealand Pilot's Mysterious Death Revealed: Aped MH 370 To End His Life
- 3 Proofs Russia Will Retaliate Against Planned Economic Sanctions, Military Aid to Ukraine by U.S.
- Russia Responds Angrily to US: War Drums Beat Faster and Louder as Tension Rises