2013 World Press Photo Awards: First Prize Winners
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 16, 2013 5:47 AM EST
The first prize winners of the 2013 World Press Photo Awards have been announced.
In total, there were nine categories: Spot News, General News, Contemporary Issues, Daily Life, Sports Action, Sports Features, Observed Portrait, Staged Portrait and Nature. Each category, except for Sports Features, had first prize winners for both single photos and photo stories.
The World Press Photo of the Year award went to Swedish Photographer Paul Hansen, whose snapshot of a funeral march in Gaza also won first prize in the Spot News category. Here are the first prize winners for the single photos in each category, excluding Sports Features which only consists of photo stories.
1. World Press Photo of the Year, Spot News
Title: "Gaza Burial"
Photographer: Paul Hansen (Sweden)
Date: Nov. 20, 2012
2. General News, first prize
Photographer: Rodrigo Abd (Argentina)
Date: March 10, 2012
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Canada Claims Good Progress in EU Trade Pact Despite Germany’s Defiant Postures
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015