2013 World Press Photo Awards: First Prize Winners
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 16, 2013 5:47 AM EST
The first prize winners of the 2013 World Press Photo Awards have been announced.
In total, there were nine categories: Spot News, General News, Contemporary Issues, Daily Life, Sports Action, Sports Features, Observed Portrait, Staged Portrait and Nature. Each category, except for Sports Features, had first prize winners for both single photos and photo stories.
The World Press Photo of the Year award went to Swedish Photographer Paul Hansen, whose snapshot of a funeral march in Gaza also won first prize in the Spot News category. Here are the first prize winners for the single photos in each category, excluding Sports Features which only consists of photo stories.
1. World Press Photo of the Year, Spot News
Title: "Gaza Burial"
Photographer: Paul Hansen (Sweden)
Date: Nov. 20, 2012
2. General News, first prize
Photographer: Rodrigo Abd (Argentina)
Date: March 10, 2012
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- ISIS Will Target the U.S. Power Grid, Former CIA Says; Could Tap Other Fellow Extremist Groups to Do the Job
- Russia Massacres Ukrainian Volunteer Battalions—Surviving Members Alleged
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Julie Bishop: ISIS Is 'Australia's Responsibility'
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display