NBA Trade Rumors: Dallas Mavericks Talk Josh Smith Deal? Atlanta Hawks Have Freed Up Entire Roster For Moves? Master Plan For Dwight Howard's Free Agency?
February 16, 2013 4:13 AM EST
Atlanta Hawks forward Josh Smith better have as strong a friendship with Dwight Howard as reports suggest.
Smith and the soon-to-be free agent Laker center are apparenlty close pals, which has sparked speculation that certain teams are angling for Smith in the hopes of landing Howard this summer.
The Dallas Mavericks, according to Ken Berger of CBSSports.com via Twitter, are the latest team tied to the hyper-athletic Smith. Dallas spoke “internally” about Smith, according to Berger.
Dallas is also a potential suitor for Howard with tons of cap space next season. Smith and Howard played AAU ball together before they became NBA stars, and both will garner maximum deals this summer.
Smith has been rumored to be on the trading block for nearly three seasons, with ties to the Brooklyn Nets and Philadelphia 76ers most recently. Last season he put a career-high 18.8 points and 9.6 rebounds. Those numbers have dipped slightly this year, but Smith is also one of the best shot blockers in the league, averaging 2.1 swats a game.
The Mavericks could have upwards of $20 million in cap space next season, and have valuable trade chips like the expiring contracts of center Chris Kaman and forward Elton Brand.
Guard Darren Collison is also a putting up a solid 12.9 points and 5.5 assists per game, and will be a restricted free agent this summer. Dallas could pitch Collison’s deal as another expiring contract, since any team that trades for him has the option of letting him walk to free up payroll.
Mavs owner Mark Cuban has publicly stated his club is not in the market for a trade, but is expected to make a run at Howard in free agency.
Berger also stated that Atlanta general manger Danny Ferry is open to moving everyone on the roster. Ferry, formerly a member of the deft San Antonio Spurs front office, pulled off a huge move this past summer that freed the Hawks from the $89 million owed to Joe Johnson.
The Hawks are also seen as players for Howard, who is originally from Atlanta, and will have even more space to sign him and several other free agents. Atlanta only has $18 million committed to player contracts next season, and that number could decrease if they decline to match offers for guard Jeff Teague and Ivan Johnson.
The Hawks may not view Smith as a huge sticking point for signing Howard, who has reportedly clashed with fellow Laker Kobe Bryant this season.
The Lakers can offer Howard $30 million more than any other club since they currently hold his rights, but Los Angeles is in danger of missing the playoffs and the apparently nasty riff with Bryant could make re-signing Howard difficult.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR Preview
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date