Russia Calls for International Anti-Asteroid System after Meteor Terror [VIDEO]
By Umberto Bacchi | February 16, 2013 4:04 AM EST
Russia's deputy prime minister Dmitry Rogozin has called for leading powers to work together to develop a system to intercept objects falling from space, after a meteor that exploded over Russia's Ural mountains injured about 1,000 on the ground below.
"Neither we nor the Americans have such technologies," Rogozin told Interfax news agency.
The interior ministry raised its initial injury count from 250 to 985 people, including 204 children. They were hurt by falling space debris and sonic blasts shattering windows and damaging buildings in the Chelyabinsk region 1,500km east of Moscow.
Russia's President Vladimir Putin said he thanked god no large fragments of the meteor fell in populated areas.
The Russian Academy of Sciences estimated that the space rock weighed about 10 tonnes and entered Earth's atmosphere at a hypersonic speed of at least 54,000km/h (33,000mph) before exploding 30-50km (18-32 miles) above ground.
"There was panic. People had no idea what was happening," said Sergey Hametov, a resident of Chelyabinsk, home to one million people.
"We saw a big burst of light, then went outside to see what it was and we heard a really loud, thundering sound."
Most of the injuries were caused by flying glass. Chelyabinsk city officials estimated that the shockwave smashed 100,000 square meres of glass.
Forty-four people were taken to hospital and two were in intensive care, RIA Novosti reported.
"I went to see what that flash in the sky was about," resident Marat Lobkovsky said. "And then the window glass shattered, bouncing back on me. My face was cut open, but not deep."
Nasa denied that the meteor was related to another asteroid named 2012 DA14 that is to pass close to the Earth - without hitting it.
"The trajectory of the Russian meteorite was significantly different to the trajectory of the asteroid 2012 DA14, making it a completely unrelated object," Nasa said on its website.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Video of Slain Syrian Soldiers Raises Doubts; Syrian Gov't Demands Release of Captured Troops
- Family of Accidentally Killed Arizona Shooting Range Instructor Charles Vacca Feels Sorry For 9-Year-Old Uzi Girl
- Major Highlights On 1400 Minor’s Sex Assault
- Shocking Ice Bucket Challenge Video: Man Drenches 10-Month-Old Granddaughter, Video Garnered Angry And Appalled Comments From Viewers
- Viral Video Pregnancy News: Young Boy Reacts To Mom's 'Exasperating' Pregnancy News, Asks Mom To Buy Him Ear Plugs
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares