Russia Calls for International Anti-Asteroid System after Meteor Terror [VIDEO]
By Umberto Bacchi | February 16, 2013 4:04 AM EST
Russia's deputy prime minister Dmitry Rogozin has called for leading powers to work together to develop a system to intercept objects falling from space, after a meteor that exploded over Russia's Ural mountains injured about 1,000 on the ground below.
"Neither we nor the Americans have such technologies," Rogozin told Interfax news agency.
The interior ministry raised its initial injury count from 250 to 985 people, including 204 children. They were hurt by falling space debris and sonic blasts shattering windows and damaging buildings in the Chelyabinsk region 1,500km east of Moscow.
Russia's President Vladimir Putin said he thanked god no large fragments of the meteor fell in populated areas.
The Russian Academy of Sciences estimated that the space rock weighed about 10 tonnes and entered Earth's atmosphere at a hypersonic speed of at least 54,000km/h (33,000mph) before exploding 30-50km (18-32 miles) above ground.
"There was panic. People had no idea what was happening," said Sergey Hametov, a resident of Chelyabinsk, home to one million people.
"We saw a big burst of light, then went outside to see what it was and we heard a really loud, thundering sound."
Most of the injuries were caused by flying glass. Chelyabinsk city officials estimated that the shockwave smashed 100,000 square meres of glass.
Forty-four people were taken to hospital and two were in intensive care, RIA Novosti reported.
"I went to see what that flash in the sky was about," resident Marat Lobkovsky said. "And then the window glass shattered, bouncing back on me. My face was cut open, but not deep."
Nasa denied that the meteor was related to another asteroid named 2012 DA14 that is to pass close to the Earth - without hitting it.
"The trajectory of the Russian meteorite was significantly different to the trajectory of the asteroid 2012 DA14, making it a completely unrelated object," Nasa said on its website.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports