Dubai Bans Swansea Striker Itay Schechter in Israel Row
By Dominic Gover | February 16, 2013 3:28 AM EST
Political tensions between Israel and its Arab neighbours hit Premier League football, this week.
Schechter, 25, was left behind by team-mates who flew out to the desert kingdom for a six-day training camp.
Tense relations between the two states meant the striker was banned from entering the country with his passport.
It meant while the likes of star man Michu trained in sunshine, Schechter was left twiddling his thumbs in rain-soaked Wales.
Preparations for this weekend's Premier League clash with Liverpool were disrupted for boss Michael Laudrup, as a result.
Dubai with other Emirate countries is involved in a tense diplomatic stand-off with Israel. Mossad, the Israeli secret service, is accused of assassinating Hamas leader Mahmoud al-Mabhouh in a plush hotel in Dubai in 2010.
Schechter's difficulty is not the first time that sport has been hobbled by the tortured politics of the Middle East.
In 2009, Dubai prevented Israeli tennis player Shanhar Pe'er from the country for the Dubai Tennis Championship. The city state's tennis ruling body was fined as a result. The next year, Pe'er participated in the tournament.
Nor is the episode the first time Schechter has suffered because of his nationality.
He was targeted with a Nazi salute by fans while playing a German club Kaiserlautern, last year. A group of supporters came to a training session and hurled anti-semetic abuse in his direction.
Schechter was accused of inciting controversy by donning a red kippah during a Champions League match for Hapoel Tel Aviv in 2010. It was beamed live to millions of fans and earned the striker a red card. The club protested against the decision by handing out 20,000 kippot to fans in the second leg of the tie.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate