Dubai Bans Swansea Striker Itay Schechter in Israel Row
By Dominic Gover | February 16, 2013 3:28 AM EST
Political tensions between Israel and its Arab neighbours hit Premier League football, this week.
Schechter, 25, was left behind by team-mates who flew out to the desert kingdom for a six-day training camp.
Tense relations between the two states meant the striker was banned from entering the country with his passport.
It meant while the likes of star man Michu trained in sunshine, Schechter was left twiddling his thumbs in rain-soaked Wales.
Preparations for this weekend's Premier League clash with Liverpool were disrupted for boss Michael Laudrup, as a result.
Dubai with other Emirate countries is involved in a tense diplomatic stand-off with Israel. Mossad, the Israeli secret service, is accused of assassinating Hamas leader Mahmoud al-Mabhouh in a plush hotel in Dubai in 2010.
Schechter's difficulty is not the first time that sport has been hobbled by the tortured politics of the Middle East.
In 2009, Dubai prevented Israeli tennis player Shanhar Pe'er from the country for the Dubai Tennis Championship. The city state's tennis ruling body was fined as a result. The next year, Pe'er participated in the tournament.
Nor is the episode the first time Schechter has suffered because of his nationality.
He was targeted with a Nazi salute by fans while playing a German club Kaiserlautern, last year. A group of supporters came to a training session and hurled anti-semetic abuse in his direction.
Schechter was accused of inciting controversy by donning a red kippah during a Champions League match for Hapoel Tel Aviv in 2010. It was beamed live to millions of fans and earned the striker a red card. The club protested against the decision by handing out 20,000 kippot to fans in the second leg of the tie.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance