David Einhorn Has Been Busy Buying Apple
By Aabha Rathee | February 16, 2013 2:30 AM EST
With hedge around him making cuts in the company, David Einhorn’s Greenlight Capital .
Einhorn said he instead wants to start issuing perpetual preferred stock with a 4 percent yield. While the company responded by saying it would consider this part of his recommendation, it has pledged to fight his opposition to the proxy proposal.
Apple’s took a massive stumble last quarter, falling more than 20 percent as concerns about the company’s slowing growth rate, lowering margins, and increased competition rose. The stock is down an additional 12 percent so far this year. There have been reports of several hedge funds, including Leon Cooperman’s Omega Advisors, Thomas Steyer’s Farallon Capital, and Barry Rosenstein’s Jana Partners, cutting down their Apple holdings by large percentages.
However, Greenlight, which has owned Apple shares since 2010, raised its holdings in the company by 46 percent to 1.6 million shares, including those 275,000 call options, regulatory filings showed. Einhorn spoke with Apple chief executive Tim Cook and finance chief Peter Oppenheimer about increasing returns to investors before filing the lawsuit.
Greenlight also bought 39,000 new shares in Google (NASDAQ:GOOG), whose stock price has risen about 18 percent in the past six months. The fund’s total U.S. stock investments were worth $6.38 billion at the end of the fourth quarter, up from $6 billion at the end of September.
Copyright Wall St. Cheat Street. All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Zealand Economy Benefits From Australia's Big Investments; Kiwi Down After RNBZ Comments
- ETF Outlook for Thursday, January 2 (FEZ, FXI, SPY, XHB)
- January Second Trading: Always Interesting
- 13 Things Investors Learned In 2013 - Part II
- Are Diversity and Quality the Way to Profit from the Rebound in Gold and Coal?
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’