David Einhorn Has Been Busy Buying Apple
By Aabha Rathee | February 16, 2013 2:30 AM EST
With hedge around him making cuts in the company, David Einhorn’s Greenlight Capital .
Einhorn said he instead wants to start issuing perpetual preferred stock with a 4 percent yield. While the company responded by saying it would consider this part of his recommendation, it has pledged to fight his opposition to the proxy proposal.
Apple’s took a massive stumble last quarter, falling more than 20 percent as concerns about the company’s slowing growth rate, lowering margins, and increased competition rose. The stock is down an additional 12 percent so far this year. There have been reports of several hedge funds, including Leon Cooperman’s Omega Advisors, Thomas Steyer’s Farallon Capital, and Barry Rosenstein’s Jana Partners, cutting down their Apple holdings by large percentages.
However, Greenlight, which has owned Apple shares since 2010, raised its holdings in the company by 46 percent to 1.6 million shares, including those 275,000 call options, regulatory filings showed. Einhorn spoke with Apple chief executive Tim Cook and finance chief Peter Oppenheimer about increasing returns to investors before filing the lawsuit.
Greenlight also bought 39,000 new shares in Google (NASDAQ:GOOG), whose stock price has risen about 18 percent in the past six months. The fund’s total U.S. stock investments were worth $6.38 billion at the end of the fourth quarter, up from $6 billion at the end of September.
Copyright Wall St. Cheat Street. All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- New Zealand Economy Benefits From Australia's Big Investments; Kiwi Down After RNBZ Comments
- ETF Outlook for Thursday, January 2 (FEZ, FXI, SPY, XHB)
- January Second Trading: Always Interesting
- 13 Things Investors Learned In 2013 - Part II
- Are Diversity and Quality the Way to Profit from the Rebound in Gold and Coal?
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices