Mother Of Oscar Pistorius’ Ex-Girlfriend, Samantha Taylor, Says Athlete Was Always Reckless With Guns
By Jill Heller | February 16, 2013 1:39 AM EST
Trish Taylor, the mother Oscar Pistorius’ former girlfriend Samantha Taylor, accused the South African Paralympic sprinter of being reckless with his guns after he was charged with murder for the death of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
In a post on Facebook, Taylor alleged that Pistorius had shown lapses in judgment when using his guns around her daughter and said she was grateful that Samantha was out of his “clutches.”
"I am so glad that Sammy is safe and sound and out of the clutches of that man,” Taylor wrote in a Facebook post, according to the Herald Sun. “There were a few occasions where things could have gone wrong with her and his gun during the time they dated. My condolences to the family whose daughter has passed away. My heart breaks for you.”
Samantha Taylor, a marketing student who modeled part-time, dated Pistorius last October when she was 18, the Daily Mail reported. After their breakup, Taylor spoke harshly of Pistorius to the press. After learning about the star athlete’s newly publicized relationship with another blonde model, Steenkamp, Taylor told South Africa’s City Press, "Oscar has such a way with women. She's probably not the only one he's got".
"Oscar is certainly not what people think he is,” Taylor added.
Steenkamp, 30, was discovered by police in a puddle of her own blood after being shot four times. Katlego Mogale, a police spokeswoman, said that law enforcement officials discovered a 9 mm pistol at the crime scene, according to the Chicago Tribune.
Pistorius, who made history by competing in the Olympics as the first double amputee sprinter, previously talking about how his disability made him feel more defenseless against being attacked by an intruder.
“When I’m in bed and don’t have my legs on, I know there’s nothing I can do if someone breaks in,” Pistorius said.
Although his home in the gated Silverlakes community of Pretoria boasts 10ft high walls, and a perimeter surrounded by wired fencing, Pistorius still expressed concern that an intruder might break in with the aid of security guards.
“The problem is when the guards are in on the crime. It’s usually safe in guarded estates like this until that happens,” Pistorius said.
In light of the recent murder charges against Pistorius, a lawyer representing Taylor wrote to the City Press and asked them to retract Taylor’s previous statement. “We have considered our client’s communication with you and request you to disregard it. Our client withdraws her statements,” the lawyer wrote.
But another ex-girlfriend of Pistorius’, Jenna Edkins, jumped into the fray to defend Pistorius.
"All I am saying is let him speak, let his side be heard without jumping to conclusions," Edkins tweeted, offering “love and support” to his family. "I have dated Oscar on and off for 5 YEARS, NOT ONCE has he EVER lifted a finger to me or made me fear for my life."
Early media reports alleged that Pistorius had been surprised by Steenkamp and mistaken her for a burglar.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best