Brent Slips on Eurozone GDP
By Laura Brodbeck | February 16, 2013 1:29 AM EST
Brent crude oil dipped to $117.53 at 11:30 GMT on Friday after weak eurozone data signaled that the region's economy had a long road to recovery ahead.
GDP data from the euro zone showed an economic contraction of 2.3 percent in the fourth quarter of 2012. The bloc's economy shrank at its quickest pace since the height of the global economic crisis in late 2009.
The figures added fuel to speculation that the euro's recent strength is unrelated to the region's real economy. Although the euro has strengthened on improving sentiment; unemployment, exports and GDP have all fallen which indicates that the eurozone is still deep in recession.
The GDP report on Thursday presented troubling figures for some of the eurozone's largest economies, including northern powerhouse economy, Germany. Both German and French GDP fell at a faster rate than predicted and proved that the problems of southern countries like Spain and Italy have infected the entire EU.
Despite the eurozone's troubling GDP, CNBC, reported that geopolitical worries kept a floor under prices as tension in the Middle East continued to escalate in both Syria and Iran.
Talks between the West and Iran proved fruitless after United Nations inspectors returned from Iran on Thursday without any real progress toward resuming nuclear investigation in Tehran. UN officials were unable to secure a date for further meetings and the lack of progress toward diplomacy has many worried about the possibility of a war in the future.
The Syrian civil war continued to pose a threat to crude supply as unrest in the nation escalated along with the death toll. The uprising, which has continued for more than a year, is threatening to spill over Syria's borders and destabilize the entire region.
(c) 2013 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools