Child Murderer Subhan Anwar 'Killed After Being Held Hostage in Prison'
By Ewan Palmer | February 16, 2013 1:02 AM EST
Two men have been arrested after a man jailed for torturing a two-year-old girl to death was found killed in prison.
Subhan Anwar was jailed for a minimum of 23 years in 2009 after he tortured and killed his partner's two-year-old daughter Sanam Navsarka.
It is believed Anwar, 24, was held hostage in his cell at Worcestershire's Long Lartin Prison before being killed.
Police confirm two men aged 45 and 47 have been arrested on suspicion of his murder.
A West Mercia Police spokesman said the force "has launched a murder investigation after a 24-year-old man died in Long Lartin prison last night.
"The body of the man was found by prison officers just before 8pm on Thursday, February 14.
"Two men aged 47 and 45 have been arrested on suspicion of murder and are currently in police custody.
"West Mercia Police is working closely with the Ministry of Justice to establish the exact circumstances surrounding this man's death."
A Prison Service spokeswoman added: "An incident at HMP Long Lartin on Thursday February 14 resulted in the death of prisoner Subhan Anwar.
"Two prisoners are now in police custody and the matter is being investigated by police."
Anwar's partner Zahbeena Navsarka was cleared of her daughter's murder but found guilty of manslaughter and jailed for nine years.
Bradford Crown Court heard how when the two-year-old died, she had 107 separate injuries, including fractures to all of her limbs.
On passing sentencing, the judge at the trial said: "It is almost unbelievable the pain and anguish she must have suffered not just once or twice but repeatedly and persistently over weeks at your cruel and selfish hands. Your deliberate cruelty is beyond belief."
Anwar and Navsarka, from Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, tried to claim Sanam stopped breathing as they left her alone in a bath.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports