Child Murderer Subhan Anwar 'Killed After Being Held Hostage in Prison'
By Ewan Palmer | February 16, 2013 1:02 AM EST
Two men have been arrested after a man jailed for torturing a two-year-old girl to death was found killed in prison.
Subhan Anwar was jailed for a minimum of 23 years in 2009 after he tortured and killed his partner's two-year-old daughter Sanam Navsarka.
It is believed Anwar, 24, was held hostage in his cell at Worcestershire's Long Lartin Prison before being killed.
Police confirm two men aged 45 and 47 have been arrested on suspicion of his murder.
A West Mercia Police spokesman said the force "has launched a murder investigation after a 24-year-old man died in Long Lartin prison last night.
"The body of the man was found by prison officers just before 8pm on Thursday, February 14.
"Two men aged 47 and 45 have been arrested on suspicion of murder and are currently in police custody.
"West Mercia Police is working closely with the Ministry of Justice to establish the exact circumstances surrounding this man's death."
A Prison Service spokeswoman added: "An incident at HMP Long Lartin on Thursday February 14 resulted in the death of prisoner Subhan Anwar.
"Two prisoners are now in police custody and the matter is being investigated by police."
Anwar's partner Zahbeena Navsarka was cleared of her daughter's murder but found guilty of manslaughter and jailed for nine years.
Bradford Crown Court heard how when the two-year-old died, she had 107 separate injuries, including fractures to all of her limbs.
On passing sentencing, the judge at the trial said: "It is almost unbelievable the pain and anguish she must have suffered not just once or twice but repeatedly and persistently over weeks at your cruel and selfish hands. Your deliberate cruelty is beyond belief."
Anwar and Navsarka, from Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, tried to claim Sanam stopped breathing as they left her alone in a bath.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- UN Vows to Bring MH17 Crash Perpetrators to Justice; Downing of Plane a 'War Crime'
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015