Czech Republic Approves Medical Marijuana
By Brett Forman | February 16, 2013 12:39 AM EST
Marijuana is now legal for medical treatment in the Czech Republic after Czech President Vaclav Klause signed the measure into law on Friday.
The law had been approved by the country's two houses of Parliament, the AP reported. It will allow marijuana to be imported and eventually grown domestically by licensed growing firms -- which had been illegal until Friday.
According the A.P., patients will be able to fill their medical marijuana prescriptions at pharmacies, but the drug won't be covered by medical insurance -- and patients are not allowed to grow the plants privately in their own homes.
Medical marijuana is often used to treat conditions arising from cancer, AIDS, chronic pain, and other illnesses. It's legal in several EU countries and states in the U.S., including Washington and Colorado, which also approved recreational use of marijuana in 2012. On Thursday, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg decriminalized the possession of small amounts of marijuana in the city.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet