Czech Republic Approves Medical Marijuana
By Brett Forman | February 16, 2013 12:39 AM EST
Marijuana is now legal for medical treatment in the Czech Republic after Czech President Vaclav Klause signed the measure into law on Friday.
The law had been approved by the country's two houses of Parliament, the AP reported. It will allow marijuana to be imported and eventually grown domestically by licensed growing firms -- which had been illegal until Friday.
According the A.P., patients will be able to fill their medical marijuana prescriptions at pharmacies, but the drug won't be covered by medical insurance -- and patients are not allowed to grow the plants privately in their own homes.
Medical marijuana is often used to treat conditions arising from cancer, AIDS, chronic pain, and other illnesses. It's legal in several EU countries and states in the U.S., including Washington and Colorado, which also approved recreational use of marijuana in 2012. On Thursday, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg decriminalized the possession of small amounts of marijuana in the city.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June