Czech Republic Approves Medical Marijuana
By Brett Forman | February 16, 2013 12:39 AM EST
Marijuana is now legal for medical treatment in the Czech Republic after Czech President Vaclav Klause signed the measure into law on Friday.
The law had been approved by the country's two houses of Parliament, the AP reported. It will allow marijuana to be imported and eventually grown domestically by licensed growing firms -- which had been illegal until Friday.
According the A.P., patients will be able to fill their medical marijuana prescriptions at pharmacies, but the drug won't be covered by medical insurance -- and patients are not allowed to grow the plants privately in their own homes.
Medical marijuana is often used to treat conditions arising from cancer, AIDS, chronic pain, and other illnesses. It's legal in several EU countries and states in the U.S., including Washington and Colorado, which also approved recreational use of marijuana in 2012. On Thursday, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg decriminalized the possession of small amounts of marijuana in the city.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate