Oscar Pistorius Denies Murder Charge ‘in Strongest Possible Terms’ [VIDEO]
By Ewan Palmer | February 16, 2013 12:29 AM EST
Oscar Pistorius has denied murdering his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp "in the strongest terms", according to his family and management.
The prosecution said Pristorius is guilty of the premeditated murder of his girlfriend. As the murder charge was read out, the 400m runner was seen "sobbing uncontrollably" and holding his head in his hands.
The statement said the 26-year-old disputes the alleged murder and sends his "deepest sympathies" to the family of his late girlfriend.
It added: "Firstly, and most importantly, all our thoughts today must be with the family and friends of Reeva Steenkamp.
"Oscar Pistorius has appeared in court here in Pretoria this morning formally charged with the murder of Reeva Steenkamp. The alleged murder is disputed in the strongest terms.
"He has made it very clear that he would like to send his deepest sympathies to the family of Reeva.
"He would also like to express his thanks through us today for all the messages of support he has received - but as stated our thoughts and prayers today should be for Reeva and her family - regardless of the circumstances of this terrible, terrible tragedy."
Pistorius is due to return to court for a bail hearing on 19 February. He will remain in custody at a police station in Brooklyn, Pretoria until then.
Pistorius was arrested after Steenkamp was found dead at his home with four bullet wounds. Police recovered a 9mm pistol at the scene and took the 26-year-old into custody.
South African media reported the athlete shot his girlfriend four times through a bathroom door.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks