Oscar Pistorius Denies Murder Charge ‘in Strongest Possible Terms’ [VIDEO]
By Ewan Palmer | February 16, 2013 12:29 AM EST
Oscar Pistorius has denied murdering his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp "in the strongest terms", according to his family and management.
The prosecution said Pristorius is guilty of the premeditated murder of his girlfriend. As the murder charge was read out, the 400m runner was seen "sobbing uncontrollably" and holding his head in his hands.
The statement said the 26-year-old disputes the alleged murder and sends his "deepest sympathies" to the family of his late girlfriend.
It added: "Firstly, and most importantly, all our thoughts today must be with the family and friends of Reeva Steenkamp.
"Oscar Pistorius has appeared in court here in Pretoria this morning formally charged with the murder of Reeva Steenkamp. The alleged murder is disputed in the strongest terms.
"He has made it very clear that he would like to send his deepest sympathies to the family of Reeva.
"He would also like to express his thanks through us today for all the messages of support he has received - but as stated our thoughts and prayers today should be for Reeva and her family - regardless of the circumstances of this terrible, terrible tragedy."
Pistorius is due to return to court for a bail hearing on 19 February. He will remain in custody at a police station in Brooklyn, Pretoria until then.
Pistorius was arrested after Steenkamp was found dead at his home with four bullet wounds. Police recovered a 9mm pistol at the scene and took the 26-year-old into custody.
South African media reported the athlete shot his girlfriend four times through a bathroom door.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy