Root Galaxy Note 10.1 N8020 on Android
4.1.2 XXBMA6 Jelly Bean Official Firmware [Tutorial]
Galaxy Note 10.1 N8020 users, who have already installed the recently released Android 4.1.2 XXBMA6 Jelly Bean official firmware, can now root their device using ODIN flash tool with this guide.
Rooting is essential to regain full system access and be able to install third-party root-based apps on the device. NOTE: Rooting the device will void its warranty. However, users can restore the device warranty by just reinstalling the official firmware update.
To verify if the device is actually rooted or not, just download and install the Root Checker app from Google Play Store.
Key Points to Note
- Android 4.1.2 XXBMB2 Jelly Bean official firmware and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable to the Galaxy Note 10.1 N8020 model only and will not work on any other device. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure that the phone hasat least 80 percent battery power to prevent unexpected device shutdown while rooting the device.
- Back up important data and settings on the phone.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer.Download Galaxy Note 10.1 LTE N8020 USB drivers.
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- The rooting method used in this guideemploys ODIN flash utility, which is meant for Windows OS only. However, Linux and Mac OS usersneed to use cross platform tool Heimdallfor flashing the firmware.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only.IBTimes UK will not be held responsible if your device is damaged or bricked during the process of rooting. Users must proceed at their own risk.
How to Root Galaxy Note 10.1 N8020 on Android 4.1.2 XXBMA6 Jelly Bean Official Firmware
1. Extract the downloaded CF-Auto-Root zip package to get a .tar.md5 file within it.
2. Extract Odin zip file to receive Odin3 v3.07.exe along with few other files.
3. Power off the tablet and wait for vibration (about 5 to 6 seconds) to confirm complete device shutdown.
4. Now, place the tablet in Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Home buttons while tapping the Power button. When a Warning! message appears on screen, hit Volume Down key to continue entry into Download Mode.
5. Launch Odin3 v3.07.exe (check Step 2) as an Administrator, since Admin privileges are required to complete the rooting process.
6. Now, connect the tablet to computer using the USB cable. A message saying "Added!!" will appear in Odin's message box at the bottom left of the screen. If the message fails to appear, then just try another USB port (preferably the one at the back of the computer). If all else fails, then just reinstall the USB drivers for the phone on computer. When the successful "Added!!" message appears in Odin, just proceed to the next step. Now, the ID: COM port with a number turns Yellow if the device is successfully added.
7. Choose the following files in Odin using respective buttons:
- Tap the PDA Button, and choose CF-Auto-Root-p4notelte-p4noteltexx-gtn8020.tar.md5.
8. In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options.
9. Verify that everything in step 7 and 8 are done correctly. Then hit START button to begin the root flashing process.
10. After the root is completely flashed, the tablet will reboot and a PASS message with green background appears in the left-most box at the very top of Odin. Now, unplug the USB cable to disconnect the device from computer.
Congratulations! Galaxy Note 10.1 N8020 is now rooted on the official Android 4.1.2 N8020XXBMA6 Jelly Bean firmware. Now, the apps requiring root access can be installed.
Also, check out our step-by-step guide to Update Galaxy Note 10.1 N8020 on Android 4.1.2 XXBMA6 Jelly Bean Official Firmware.
[Source: Android Jinn]
To contact the editor, e-mail: