Flawed Apple’s iOS 6.1 Update Makes iPhones Vulnerable to Hacking: report
By Rohit KVN | February 15, 2013 11:37 PM EST
Apple's new iOS 6.1 update, which was released a few days ago, reportedly has a flaw which puts the personal data of iPhone users at risk.
The flawed iOS 6.1 update will allow hackers to easily bypass the lock-screen password with very little effort. Once the lock-screen is breached, hackers can view the iPhone owners' contact list, voicemails and photos.
Soon after the news of the loophole in the iOS 6.1 update emerged, Apple acknowledged the existence of the issue. Company spokeswoman Trudy Miller said that "Apple takes user security very seriously". She further said, "We are aware of this issue, and will deliver a fix in a future software update." reported All Things D (Wall Street Journal).
The flaw was first noticed by a blogger identified as VideosdeBarraquito. He had posted a two-minute video on YouTube showing a step-by-step procedure to unlock the iPhone lock-screen.
Last week, iPhone 4S users in the UK were advised by the national carrier Vodafone to refrain from upgrading their smartphones with iOS 6.1 update. The telecom carrier in a statement said that the iOS 6.1 upgrade affected the 3G performance of the handset.
It was said that some customers experienced difficulty in receiving calls and connecting to the internet. Following the outcry over the bug, Apple released an update to fix the issue on Monday.
(With inputs from The Verge)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell