Universe Celebrated Valentine’s Day: Planetary Nebula Resembling Rose Spotted in Space [PHOTO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 15, 2013 11:29 PM EST
It isn't just the human race that celebrates Valentine's Day... the universe does too. A photograph released by the National Optical Astronomy Observatory revealed a strange nebula, far away in space, resembling a red rose.
The image was released on Wednesday and to a mind with a little romantic imagination, it does look like a blurry image of a red space flower. However, it is actually an odd planetary nebula called Sh2-174.
A planetary nebula is the gas and dust surrounding an aging star. There are actually no planets in a nebula. When a star is in the final stages of its life cycle, it starts collapsing in on itself. In the process, it emits gasses and clouds of red and blue colours.
According to space.com, over the next five billion years even the Sun will start to collapse and in the process will create a planetary nebula. A note on the Web site reads:
"At the end of its lifetime, the Sun will swell up into a red giant, expanding out beyond the orbit of Venus. As it burns through its fuel, it will eventually collapse. The outer layers will be ejected in a shell of gas that will last a few tens of thousands of years before spreading into the vastness of space. The small core, a newly formed white dwarf, will illuminate those layers in a dazzling, predominantly blue-green display."
The term "planetary nebula" was coined by William Herschel, a German-born British astronomer.
According to the Web site, about 10,000 nebulas exist in the Milky Way, although only about 1,500 of them have been detected.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Bad Memories Can be Changed into Good Ones, Say Scientists
- Walking Fish Reveal How Our Ancestors Evolved Onto Land (Watch Video)
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports