Universe Celebrated Valentine’s Day: Planetary Nebula Resembling Rose Spotted in Space [PHOTO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | February 15, 2013 11:29 PM EST
It isn't just the human race that celebrates Valentine's Day... the universe does too. A photograph released by the National Optical Astronomy Observatory revealed a strange nebula, far away in space, resembling a red rose.
The image was released on Wednesday and to a mind with a little romantic imagination, it does look like a blurry image of a red space flower. However, it is actually an odd planetary nebula called Sh2-174.
A planetary nebula is the gas and dust surrounding an aging star. There are actually no planets in a nebula. When a star is in the final stages of its life cycle, it starts collapsing in on itself. In the process, it emits gasses and clouds of red and blue colours.
According to space.com, over the next five billion years even the Sun will start to collapse and in the process will create a planetary nebula. A note on the Web site reads:
"At the end of its lifetime, the Sun will swell up into a red giant, expanding out beyond the orbit of Venus. As it burns through its fuel, it will eventually collapse. The outer layers will be ejected in a shell of gas that will last a few tens of thousands of years before spreading into the vastness of space. The small core, a newly formed white dwarf, will illuminate those layers in a dazzling, predominantly blue-green display."
The term "planetary nebula" was coined by William Herschel, a German-born British astronomer.
According to the Web site, about 10,000 nebulas exist in the Milky Way, although only about 1,500 of them have been detected.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions