Germany: Amazon Accused of Hiring Neo-Nazi Guards to Intimidate Foreign Workers
By Gianluca Mezzofiore | February 15, 2013 10:51 PM EST
Amazon has been accused of hiring neo-Nazi security guards to intimidate more than 5,000 foreign workers from across Europe who work at its German packing and distribution centre.
In a documentary aired on the country's ARD television network, temporary workers described being harassed by guards who terrorised them by searching their bedrooms and kitchens.
Dressed in black uniforms and boots, the skinhead guards are said to have connections to Germany's neo-Nazi scene. The security firm employed by Amazon goes under the name of Hess Security. Adolf Hitler's deputy was Rudolf Hess.
The head of the company named only as Uwe L, who has a police record for football hooligananism and espousing neo-Nazi beliefs.
The guards were employed to monitor hostels and budget hotels where foreign workers stayed, said the report. "They tell us they are the police here," a Spanish woman complained, as reported by the Independent.
Another worker said she was kicked out of the overcrowded chalet she shared with five others because she had dried her wet clothes on a wall heater.
Some of the guards were shown wearing Thor Steinar clothing, a Berlin-based designer brand associated with the far-right in Germany. Barred by both the German parliament and Football Association, the clothing has also been banned by Amazon.
At one point in the documentary, security members are filmed scuffling with the filmmakers.
Amazon employs 7,700 full-time staff at seven distrubution centres in Germany but hires thousands more to fulfil a surge in orders before Christmas.
Amazon has promised it will investigate reports that temporary staff were subjected to intimidation.
"Amazon tolerates no discrimination or intimidation," company spokeswoman Ulrike Stoecker said.
"Even though the security company wasn't hired by Amazon we are of course examining the allegations (...) and will take appropriate measures immediately."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports