Edwards Leads England to World Cup Third Place
By Nick Howson | February 15, 2013 10:17 PM EST
England's women secured third place in the World Cup after captain Charlotte Edwards' eighth one-day international century helped overcome New Zealand by four wickets in Mumbai.
Despite beating the Kiwis on Wednesday, England missed out on defending their World Cup title in Sunday's final, but made up for it in emphatic fashion in the 3rd and 4th place play-off.
After winning and toss and putting New Zealand into bat, Holly Colvin dominated with the ball taking 3-31, including the wicket of Amy Satterwaite (85), as they completed their 50 overs on 220 for 8.
And England cruised over the line led by skipper Edwards, who made an unbeaten 106, with Laura Greenway chipping in with 31, as victory was secured with three over remaining despite the late losses of Heather Knight (0) and Jenny Gunn (1).
Arran Brindle, who took two wickets and scored 27 with the bat, said: "Losing three quick wickets wasn't ideal but Charlotte batted superbly, I should have finished the game off with her but we needed to get over the line. We played with a lot of pride out there today.
Brindle also suggested that Edwards, 33, who many feel has played in her last World Cup, showed form that could relay her departure from the game.
"Charlotte's getting better and I can't see her stopping any time soon," Brindle added. "We wanted to win today to finish third and that's what we've done, but we've got to look back on what could have been."
But in similar fashion to Wednesday's match, which came amid news that West Indies had confirmed their place in the final after beating Australia, the game was play in a subdued atmosphere.
Mistakes in the field and with the bat, which almost saw a late collapse, again highlighted England's plight in the super six stage during which they fell to tight defeats against Sri Lanka and Australia.
Sri Lanka's women's confirmed a fifth place finish with an 88-run with over South Africa.
Australia, the five-time winners, face West Indies in Sunday's final as the two-and-a-half-week event comes to a crescendo at the Brabourne Stadium in Mumbai.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Boxing News: Pacquiao And Mayweather Might Meet 'In The First Six Months Of Next Year' - Bob Arum
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports